Thread: Pen Bushings

Pen Bushings

Started turning a couple more pens last night and got to wondering this. How many pens are you guys getting out of a set of bushings? I am mainly talking about the 7mm slimline style pens. It seems that no matter how carefull I am I only get 3-4 out of a set of bushings and then they get distorted just enough that they don't match up when the pen is put together. I usually have a couple extra set anyway so I know they aren't that much when buying them but I just got to wondering as I was turning last night what everyone else averaged on a set.

Travis

I've made my share of pens...to date I am still using the same bushings (per pen type) as when I started. I bought another duplicate set but that is because I lost a piece.

Use a caliper...do not rely on bushings alone.
    Dario

I've made about 60 pens with the same set of bushings (not slimline). It didn't take long till I sanded or caught them with the tool so they can't be relied on for accurate size. Like Dario, I use the calipers to determine the correct size when I use the worn bushings.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

If your blanks are not lining up you may want to make certain your mandrel is not bent slightly and make certain your headstock and tailstock are aligned properly. You should get quite a few pens out of one set of bushings. I usually get around 50 per set.

I have did about a 110 pens and still using the same bushing. I only make 2 types of pens so only have 2 sets of bushings. Still going ok.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Travis, I think you need to look beyond the bushings.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll look more into it as lars has said. I try not to hit them with my tools but every once in awhile it happens. I guess I should just leave it a little bigger and just sand down from there. Thanks again.

Travis

rough idea

Travis - When I first started making pens I didn't have problems with my chisels it was being overly enthusiatic with the sand paper which ended up reducing the diameter of the bushings very rapidly. After those bushings were too worn out to use, I was a whole lot more careful with my sanding. BTW, after that, i've managed to get over 100 for a set.

Hank