Thread: Shaker Clock Progress Pictures

Shaker Clock Progress Pictures

Most of the work is now completed on the Shaker style wall clock I've been working on for our kitchen. Remaining work includes dealing with the lower door panel once I have appropriate material, sanding and finishing. This particular piece is based on the NYW project from quite a few years ago and like the original that Norm produced, is made of black walnut...milled from trees on our own property.

Here are some progress pictures of this project:

1) Carcass assembled. Most material is 9/16" thick with 1/2" thick sides
    2) Silly me...'forgot to route the hinge mortises in the sides before assembling the clock carcass. So...we meander to the neander and do it the classic way with a chisel and mallet (Mallet is osage orange and was made on my first lathe about three years ago)
    3) Clock sans the doors with filler moldings installed around the clock face. Since I used a commercially available clock face from Lee Valley, I needed to accommodate the fact that it was sized smaller than that required by the design. The 1" wide molding fashioned from 1/4" thick stock has a bead routed along the edge for a simple highlight of the clock face
    4) Free bonus pic...turning a cherry bowl on Saturday from a nice log section I got from Bill Grumbine in the summer of 2002...more on that later... (Yea, I know...stylish getup. But it keeps the chips out of the hair)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Lookin' good Jim. Looking forward to seeing the finished clock. What did you decide on for the panel?

Bob

Never saw an unfinished clock setting on a jet runway before!!
    You just had to tease us with that didn't you. (Ha Ha)
    Clock looks great, waiting for the finished shots.
    Jim Guy

Nice work, as usual, Jim.

I'd like to see a close up of the clock face. That molding is a great idea, but I can't see the detail you described.

I think a flame walnut panel would be best on the lower door. I think the maple would take away from the face of the clock.

Or, you could make two clocks, and put flame walnut on one, and maple on the other, then let your wife choose which one she likes better.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    I'd like to see a close up of the clock face. That molding is a great idea, but I can't see the detail you described.
    Best I can do right now is below. The bead is on the inside edge next to the face

I think a flame walnut panel would be best on the lower door. I think the maple would take away from the face of the clock.
    I don't disagree and may buy both before making the decision.

Or, you could make two clocks, and put flame walnut on one, and maple on the other, then let your wife choose which one she likes better.
    Yes, I could do that, but I have other projects on the list! With my schedule right now, I have to wait for any "production" aspirations!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

nice

another vote for the flame walnut panel ... nice looking clock.

b