Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketchup cutlist?

Sketchup cutlist?

Have been feeling my way through SU and finally making some progress with it. Designed a basic workbench
    workbench3.skp

and wanted to put it in cutlist but am unable to get more than one component. Select a component and click on plugins then generate cutlist. Go to next component, do same. When I go to the cutlist folder it only has the last component cutlist.. Is there a way to have multiple components in the cutlist? What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Steve

Just figured it out. Have to select all components that you want in cutlist at the same time and then generate cutlist.
    Now a question on posting pics. My post shows attachment but no thumbnail and don't seem to be able to open by double clicking. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Steve

3. I think since you attached a sketchup file, and not an image, it will work differently. I was able to open it in sketchup. Looks nice!

Thanks.
    So to show the image I need to take it from su to a document on my harddrive. Then when I browse for the upload I go to the pic rather than su.
    Appreciate the reply.
    Steve

Stephen, nice bench. To put include an image in your post first export a JPG image under the 2D export. You'll probably have to adjust the image size before you can add it to a post if you use the attachment manager at the bottom of your post entry.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 02-13-2007 at 7:21 PM.

Thanks Dave. First attempt was a bust but found how to make it a jpg. and all is good.
    Steve

I'm sorry - I'm a bit new - where do you get this cutlist functionality? Is it built in?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Hey Stephen...I realize you're playing with SU and design, but I thought I'd give you an idea for if/when you're getting closer to building it. Instead of 4x4 posts you could use (2) 2x4, which will make it easier to attach the cross-brace. This is what I was thinking:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I may be mistaken here...kinda new myself, but another thing with the cutlists is that the components need to be the individual pieces of wood produced. When making a design for viewing (concept) this isn't as important, but when designing something that's going to be built (the reason you'd want a cutlist) it's a good habit to make every piece (board) a componet. (only one needed for similar pieces). Here is a bench based on your design that has all the pieces as components. Download it and click on each piece and you see what I mean. Generate a cutlist, and it's more accurate of what you need.

Hope this helps...ignore if you already know all this
    Attached Files Attached Files

Joe
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions. You're right, I am just playing and learning su, but will eventually build the workbench. For the legs will use through tenons but will use a version of the 2x4 legs you showed.
    Will remember to make all pieces as components next time. Wasn't aware how important that was.
    Steve
    Forgot to mention that I did save your design and will use making the changes that are needed. Saves me redoing mine so thanks for that.
    Last edited by Stephen C Streetman; 02-10-2007 at 1:04 PM.

You're welcome. About the use of mortise/tenon...it is a nice look. I guess I tend to make my shop tables/stuff kinda basic and easy to build. I have to admit that I'm curious about the cut-out in your benchtop...is that just playing with SU or What's that for? (I assumed it was removable is why I made it transparent)

Know what you mean about simple for the shop. Most of mine is done exactly that way. The tenons for the table will just be an exercise and learning experience. Intend to cheat on the mortise by using 2 2x4's and cutting 1/2 of the mortise in each prior to putting them together.

Cutout will be used for slide-in tool placement. Idea is to have the area below the cutout dadoed to accept panels at different locations. The panels will hold tools at the height relative to the top that I need. First application I am thinking will be the cms with the cutting surface even with the benchtop for added support. Garage shop with limited space puts restrictions on how the shop is arranged and used. Just trying to make it more functional. Other ideas?
    Thanks again
    Steve

I might have a great idea, depending on your needs. I did something similar to this, but instead of dadoing a slot for the panel to slide in, I used the dado to cut slots for an adjustable shelf bracket. I installed T-nuts [self boring nuts that remain in the wood] so that the plate can be mounted to the brackets and also to clamp the brackets to the correct height. I drew this quickly, but you get the idea. picture 001...the box, pic 002 the slots (1/4" x 3/4")...pic 003a & 003b the clamping screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Joe. That just might work. Would solve the problem of having multiple slides for different machines. Could make spacers to place under the front and back of each of the brackets to give the proper height for each machine without having to fiddle with it. Great idea.
    Thanks
    Steve