Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sketchup cutlist?

Spacers would make setting them faster...also for mine (which is a little different than this) I used Thumb screws with big knobs so I don't need any tools. This forum is nice to throw around ideas. Good luck with it.

How to start the model ?

Hi, I just started to play with sketchup and watched the basics videos, however I am still not good on starting a model. For instance I want to make a work bench but very simple as the first design and I am yet struggling on how do I start and I am imagining two different ways:

1) To make separated elements , for instance the legs and the top and then get all of them aligned (which seems to be kind of difficult , at least for now as a newbee)

2) Make a solid cube and start to use the push pull in order to take out material until complete it.

I believe the second approach might be the one to start , but not sure.

I could not find any step by step tutorial to build something , I would really appreciate any guidance from you that seems to be much much more advanced than me.

Thanks a million in advance

Jose

Hi Jose,

There are some companion videos to "Google Sketchup for Dummies" on YouTube by Aldan Chopra - even thought they are biased towards architecture, they are excellent and you almost do not need the Dummies book that goes with the videos. The videos start with chapter 2, so it would help if you viewed them in order.

There is a learning curve, so my advice to to take your time and have some fun with it.

Cheers,
    john

Hi,

I am the current maintainer/coder for the Cutlist plugin for Sketchup. There are a lot of older versions floating around. Sorry, can't control that but I will try to make an effort to have all references other than the 'official' one updated.

The current version is v4.0.x. Latest versions are always available in the following 2 locations:

http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/daltxguy/blog/5143

or at my website

www.steveracz.com

Steve