Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What lathe do you recomend under 1k

20" for under $1K you're probably talking used. I'd keep an eye on the usual places (Craigs List, forums, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Addy
    20" for under $1K you're probably talking used. I'd keep an eye on the usual places (Craigs List, forums, etc).
    Agree totally...for that kind of turning, you really need something with a lot of mass. Keep your eye out for "pre-owned" and at the same time, save away for something bigger with true variable speed. You may also find a "big lathe" used that you can retrofit with surplus VDF and 3-phase motor for said true VS. You really need to go to $2K or so for that, unfortunately, if you want new.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bill,

Forget about the Grizzly, they don't have a good track record on woodworking lathes. IMO, their lathes are repackaged old design lathes with unpractical Mickey Mouse bells & whistles.

20" segmented turning demands a solid precision lathe. $1K price range is on the low side.
    If possible, take a class at places like Arrowmont. You will have personal experience on most brands of better lathes. You will know what features you value most.

Don't just compare the spec. sheets. A lot of them are misleading. A lot of the cheaper lathes seems to have huge capacity, but their integrity won't allow you to turn on anything close to the max. capacity.

Gordon

Blog Entries
    Thank you Gordon. What price range do you think will give me something solid and will last and what would you recomend? I get a feeling I'll be doing this for a very long time

BIll.....I've been looking at lathes to upgrade from my mini for a number of months. For what you want to do and based on you obvious talent....You ought to look at the $2300-5000+ range.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bill in my honest opinion with your talent, seeing what you do and what I hear you wanting to do as far as bigger segmented turnings I can see at least as a minimum either the Jet 1642 or the PM3520. If you don't get something like these 2 with a lot of mass to them I would say you need to scale down your ideas you have for big segmented turning. Just my $1.298.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 02-09-2007 at 10:10 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    I think I'll save a little longer. I do have a shopsmith I was given by a customer of mine but It just seem like it's OK at a lot of things but not great at anything. I've never even turned it on. Any opinions on the shop smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko
    I get a feeling I'll be doing this for a very long time
    Bill,

What do others suggest doesn't matter. Each has his style of turning. Some features that I like may be something you want to avoid. Most of us have turned on limited numbers of lathes; we may fall into the trap of being the cheer leaders of what we own. Just like buying automobiles, some may choose mini vans, but you may want a station wagon. The reason I suggest you take a class at Arrowmont because those lathes are subjected to students using them 6 days a week. You can drive them hard hours after hours. You will have some idea whether you really like which one better. Lathes are heavy, you would lose money each time you upgrade.
    There is local AAW chapter in Tucson, AZ. I would strongly suggest you attend their meeting. You may be able to test on some lathes that you have in mind.
    http://www.woodturner.org/community/...hapter+List#AZ
    For 20" segment vase, I think the best bang for the buck is the Powermatic 3520B.

Gordon

I'd agree that the PM3520 would be a good fit for you. You need the swing, bulk, and quality of a PM if you want to do large segmented work. And, for your skill level, it would be worthy of the turning you are doing (both now and as you progress).

Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Addy
    On the other hand, it is a Reeves drive... no EVS, reverse, etc.
    If you will show up at one of our club meetings (WNT), I will show you how it can be reversed -- I did it with my Delta 1440. All that it takes is no fear of disassembling your lathe's motor. Your motor would be a bit different, but manageable, I am sure. The last picture is the new motor for my delta lathe -- 1.5 HP Baldor ZDM3584T.

Bill

NOTE: I don't know if the above offer is an incentive or a disincentive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 02-10-2007 at 12:48 AM.

I think I'll save a little longer. I do have a shopsmith I was given by a customer of mine but It just seem like it's OK at a lot of things but not great at anything. I've never even turned it on. Any opinions on the shop smith?
    Even though the Shop Smith is regarded as being at the bottom of the food chain by most turners, it is the turner and not the tools that mean the most. One of the members of our club turns segmented pieces on a Shop Smith and he won a ribbon at the Texas State Fair last year. He was also one of the small number of turners invited to create a turning for the drawing at the SWAT banquet last year. I would say that he humbles a lot of people using big fancy lathes.

Bill

Thanks everyone. I really want to try something segmented around 20 inches in diameter I don't think the mini is gonna handle that. The 1642, around how much? I have a jet table saw and a few other tools and they've never let me down. Someone mentioned a lathe called a Grizly. Anyone have an opinion?
    If that diameter, you're certainly looking to get a long bed on the lathe. Imagine you'll want to use some sort of a captured hollowing rig to minimize risk, and will use a steady or two to dampen oscillations. Though others will mention the convention, I'll try wisdom and remind you that all the lathes bolt onto tops or legs, so mass is not required, rather rigidity. You can bolt it to the slab if you care to.

Then think of what really counts, and that's slow speed. Look there first, and make sure you have genuine slow speed, not some undertorqued version, because if you're going to scrape inside, torque is time.

Next in importance is the support perpendicular to the axis of rotation, which is to say your steadies. They'll never be any more rigid than the composition of the wheels that register against the outside of the form you trued up using the tailstock, so you pay your cash and take the trash there. Steel wheels and no elastic collisions will certainly make the wood pay for your scraping indiscretions. Means even talk of rigidity in the lathe, so important in other areas, isn't really as critical here.

Guess what I'm saying is follow the white herring, which is speed control, and the Grizzly has neither that nor the best QC in my experience.

The 1642, around how much? I have a jet table saw and a few other tools and they've never let me down.
    Bill,

The 1642 EVS 1.5 hp goes for around $1699.99. There is currently a $100.00 rebate on them from Jet. Check around for price then e-mail Tool Nut for their price. They frequently offer free shipping, which can be a consideralbe savings. But, I have to warn you this is not a small lathe.

Good luck,
    Joyce
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!