Thread: Basement/Electrical Books

Basement/Electrical Books

I know this is a little off topic but was wondering if anyone could recommend basement remodeling and electrical books that they have used. I am thinking again about making a basement workshop/storage area that is nice. With a wife and two kids, this will be my space in the house (other than the garage which is detached from the house).

Thanks,
    Chuck

Look up Jim Tolpin and his books. As far as remodeling goes, he has a pretty cool book on building built-ins (which is what I think it is called but can't find it as of yet). This may or may not apply to part of what you'd like to do in your basement. As far as building a nook or what have you. It may give you some ideas. Dean Johnson of Hometime has a lot of tapes/DVD's on remodeling and I think some books too. Go to Hometime.com or the PBS website and you should find tons of info. Good Luck Charles.

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wilson
    I know this is a little off topic but was wondering if anyone could recommend basement remodeling and electrical books that they have used. I am thinking again about making a basement workshop/storage area that is nice. With a wife and two kids, this will be my space in the house (other than the garage which is detached from the house).

Thanks,
    Chuck
    With electrical wiring it is best to follow code for your area/state. Here in Ontario, there's a great book called "Electrical Code Simplified" which gives you all the info for wiring to code. It may or may not apply to NY State though. I'd imagine that your local library would have a copy of a similar type of book. I have a copy of Black and Decker's "Residential Wiring" which is pretty good (nice colour pictures ) and will explain everything pretty well. I can mail it to you if you like. Send me a P.M. and I'll sent it in the mail. I'm trying to get rid of surplus stuff that is just sort of cluttering up the house.

Chuck,

Check out "Remodeling a Basement:Expert advice from start to finish" by Roger German. I got a lot of ideas form it as I was working on my basement. I think it was a Taunton Press book.

The best wiring book I've found was Step by Step Guide Book on Home Wiring. It's out of print but you might be able to find it at your local library.

-Jon