Thread: JDS vs Jet vs Delta air Filtration

JDS vs Jet vs Delta air Filtration

Found this forum last night. Looks like there is a ton of good info on here!

I have a 22x30x8.75 garage/shop/basement that I am thinking about getting an air filtration unit for. Though I seem to be able to control the bulk of the sawdust that I generate when cutting/routing/sanding lumber through the use of a shop vac, it seems like there is always a fine dust lurking throughout the shop. I have asthma and wear a mask when woodworking and cleaning, but have found even a day or two after I have "cleaned up", fine dust can be kicked up pretty easly by just walking around in the shop.

All that to say, I am curious as to how well these air filtration units would work for my purpose, and If anybody has a recommendation on which unit to purchase if that is the case.

I am looking at the following from amazon, probably in this order:
    JDS 14022 750-ER 200 CFM to 750 CFM Variable Speed Air Filtration System with Remote and Electrostatic Pre-Filter

Jet 708620B AFS-1000B 550/702/1044 CFM 3 Speed Air Filtration System with Remote and Electrostatic Pre-Filter

Delta 50-875 3-Speed Air Filtration System with Remote

I would greatly appreciate any comments or recommendations, or if anybody knows of a good place that already reviews these items, that would help a ton!

Thanks,
    dave

Your first step is to get good dust collection. I haven't ordered mine yet, but the Festool vacs (and the Fein vacs) get very high marks - much better than a shop vac.

Only then would I consider an air filter. I have one, but I will tell you that it takes a long time to clean dust out of the air. It's good as a last defense (and it is very good at that), but it isn't something to consider a primary collection device.

Another idea is to create a down-draft table, but if it is of any size, you'll need a regular DC for it instead of a vac.

Make sure you are doing your level best to remove as much at the source before trying to get the airborne stuff.

That all being said, I have the JET 1000 cleaner and it does well (when combined with my cyclone and hopefully soon, a Festool vac). Also, the JDS received high marks in one of the magazines a year or two back.

Pete

Dave,
    I recently researched an air cleaner purchase myself. I bought the JDS 750 ER. It came out best in a recent test report in a wood rag. I don't remember which one. It rated higher than units with higher CFM, because IIRC the higher CFM units in a smaller shop tends to blow particles further from reach of the cleaner, or smething like that.

If you read only the user reviews on Amazon, the Jet and Delta units have numerous negative ratings (primarily loose or out of alignment motors and resulting vibration, to bent housings). My skeptical mind may be suspicious of positive reports published by the seller of a product, but why would they go out of their way to repor negative feedback?

The $289 for the JDS at Amazon with free shipping/no tax is the lowest price that I have seen, by far, including Amazon, and I have been watching for quite a while. The guarantee is better too, and users report excellent customer service from JDS.