Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best quality made in USA planer?

Who makes the best quality made in USA planer?

Who makes the best quality made in USA planer?

I am not talking about the biggest, I am talking about a 12 or 15" solid cast iron planer. Who makes the best quality American made machines today?
    In Canada we have the 14" Canadian made General 130 planer. Retail cost $4399.00 CDN.....
    If you guys wanted the Cadillac of planers, what would you buy?

Chris

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a US made plane in that size range. Made in Canada might be the closest you'll get. I'm not sure about Woodmaster stuff. I suppose it qualifies as a planer, since it can be configured as such.
    Jay St. Peter

I don't know of any machines in this class still made in the US. If I was intent on buying one, I'd start looking for a Powermatic 100 in good condition. They show up on fleabay with regularity, as well as in other on-line sources. Of course, getting it to you in Canada would likely add significant cost.

Kirk

For US made, the smallest I could find was an 18" model that looks like a good candidate for "best".

It's the Northfield no. 2. For the single phase version, with the small 5 hp. motor, it will set you back $15,180. You can pay a bit less if you can use 3 phase. But why be a piker--step up to the 37" model, for a mere $26,330.

hi chris
    is the question " who currently makes the best planer" in the USA or " who has made the best planer" in the USA?

lou

Hi Chris,

With the prices posted above it makes the woodmaster look like a pretty good deal.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    hi chris
    is the question " who currently makes the best planer" in the USA or " who has made the best planer" in the USA?

lou
    My question was geared towards the following: If you didnt want a huge planer, you didnt want offshore but didnt mind spending the big bucks on a top quality USA made planer what would you buy?
    The General 130 was my example of Canadian made quality that is 3 times the price of most planers of the same size, but it is known that they are also built to last forever.

Rob Will Guest

Used planer w/ head upgrade

I would buy a nice clean used USA made planer..... then use the extra money for a Byrd cutterhead. If cost is not a restriction, why not go ahead and get a 20" or 24" planer?

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is some info from Woodmaster

http://www.woodmastertools.com/s/price.cfm

Because we’re constantly striving to provide you with the most advanced machines at the best possible prices, prices and specs below are subject to change. For the most current specifications and the best possible prices, please contact us directly through email (info@woodmastertools.com) or by calling our toll-free sales line, 1-800-821-6651.

Model 712 (12.5"), with 5HP Motor & Steel Extension Tables
    Reg. $2,615.00 Now just $1,342.00* You save $1,273.00
    Model 718 (18"), with 5HP Motor & Steel Extension Tables
    Reg. $3,457.05 Now just $1,695.00* You save $1,762.05

Model 725 (25"), with 7.5HP Motor & Steel Extension Tables
    Reg. $4,970.00 Now just $2,542.00* You save $2,428.00

*Each model comes with WG-1 Knife Set Gauge, Woodmaster Craftsman's Hat ,
    700V Operator's Video.

There are a couple members here that run them as moulders for banisters.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Chris
    I love my 18" Powermatic Model 180. Its a real workhorse.
    Its no longer made , but when they made them ,they made them to last.
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

Chirs

I do not know how many are still made in the USA but there is one that I know about and it is made by Hawk. I have been looking at it for some time but still do not own one. I have seen demos at wood shows and they are pretty impressive. You can find the information at www.rbiwoodtools.com.

Mike

I have a 1990 Powermatic model 100 12" planer. It's the smaller version of their larger planers. It's awesome. I'd buy a Powermatic and add a Byrd head.

The local tool dealer has started buying and refurbishing 20-24" Powermatics. He goes throught them completely and adds a Byrd cutterhead. He is getting $7900 for them and he claims to sell at least one a month in Phoenix.

I think you can find a nice Powermatic model 100 for $1200 or less. Add a Byrd head for $900, bearings from Grainger for $50, and some paint and you'll have an awesome machine...joe

We own a woodmaster 718 with a helical head.

I have put miles of product through it.

Not a hiccup. All American.

per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will
    I would buy a nice clean used USA made planer..... then use the extra money for a Byrd cutterhead. If cost is not a restriction, why not go ahead and get a 20" or 24" planer?

Rob
    In my short woodworking hobby of 10+ years, I have never, ever needed a planer larger than 12". The reason I would not go for a 20 or 24" even if it was free is for a couple of reasons. Space being one. Another being that my electrical system would not supply sufficiant power to run one.
    Finally, 24" knives cost more, more to sharpen. It seems wasteful to run a 24" planer for a couple of hours planning 6" boards. All that wasted hydro.

Chris

The old Powermatic planers look amazing. Its sad that Powermatic has chosen to build their whole lineup offshore. I am sure many people would pay a high premium to purchase a new 100 or 180....

Chris