Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tablesaw Fence Advice Needed

New Tablesaw Fence Advice Needed

OK....I have a Jet 10" Left Tilt cabinet saw. I would like to get a much better fence than the original eXacta fence that came with the saw. I would like to have a fence that will stay in alignment better AND have a fine adjustment control on the fence.

So what is the advise from all my WW'ing buddies out there?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, if money were not a concern, I'd change my Xacta fence out for a UniFence...I miss it a great deal from my previous contractors' style saw. (I like the flexibility of positioning, etc.) But my existing fence is quite accurate and never let me down. If I were to change one thing, it would be to bag the UMHW faces and replace them with something solid and slick. Other than that...it works just as well as any fence would.

What you need to ascertain is what you really want to accomplish by replacing your current fence system...if you just want micro-adjustment, you can buy the Jet Xacta-II or HTC fence with micro-adjust and use the existing rails. I believe you can do the same with a Biesemeyer, too, although I don't think they have the micro-adjust feature available. There are also a variety of third-party fences, such as Vega, Incra and Jointech (big paradigm change there) and others out there! But if your existing fence is constantly going out of alignment, that's a symptom of loose fasteners and adjustment points--there may be a less-expensive solution without replacing everything.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-01-2003 at 3:42 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dennis, on my previous tablesaw I installed an aftermarket vega fence with micro adjust. I loved it and it stayed very accurate. When my saw died I took the fence off and it's now stored in the corner awaiting further use.

I bought the Jet left-tilt with 50" rails and Xacta-II fence. It's much better than my old Vega and the micro adjust works very well.

As Jim said, if you are just looking for the micro adjust, I'd just upgrade to the Xacta-II. If absolute micro adjust and repeatablity is what you want, the incra would be my choice (I've used one and love it, but $$$).

Be well,

Doc

Dennis ---
    Other posters are suggesting installation of the Jet Exacta II fence, which I believe is identical to the HTC. I'm part-way through installing the HTC on my Unisaw, and I'm not happy. What's making me unhappy is that the fence is not straight. It has about 1/32" of curve in it. That is, an edge-jointed board noticeably rocks against the fence.

You might look into a retrofit microadjuster from Tahoe Tools (www.tahoetools.com). A friend has one on a Beisemeyer, and likes it.

Jamie

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Dennis - I have a 50" Vega on my Jet cabinet saw and I love it. I have never had to readjust it since I installed it.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Dennis, if money were not a concern, I'd change my Xacta fence out for a UniFence...I miss it a great deal from my previous contractors' style saw. (I like the flexibility of positioning, etc.) But my existing fence is quite accurate and never let me down. If I were to change one thing, it would be to bag the UMHW faces and replace them with something solid and slick. Other than that...it works just as well as any fence would.
    Mr Becker,

What are UMHW faces???

Thanks
    Tyler
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 12-02-2003 at 9:45 AM. Reason: repaired "quote" coding

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Mr Becker,
    Geepers...that makes me feel old!

What are UMHW faces???
    That's that high density slick plastic that the Jet Xacta fence has, unlike the Biesemeyer that uses laminate faces. (I may have the acronym slightly wrong) Yes, it's slick. But it is also easily distorted by the mounting screws and other "ethereal forces" so they tend not to be perfectly flat. That's why Jamie is noticing a gap with a jointed board against his fence.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Geepers...that makes me feel old!
    That's that high density slick plastic that the Jet Xacta fence has, unlike the Biesemeyer that uses laminate faces. (I may have the acronym slightly wrong) Yes, it's slick. But it is also easily distorted by the mounting screws and other "ethereal forces" so they tend not to be perfectly flat. That's why Jamie is noticing a gap with a jointed board against his fence.
    Just to clarify....
    Ultrahigh Molecular Weight Polyethylene
    (UHMWP)
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell

What are UMHW faces???

Thanks
    Tyler
    Ultra High Molecular Weight

It's a polyethylene plastic. It's the white, kinda grainy feeling stuff, though it probably comes in different iterations.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    Just to clarify....
    Ultrahigh Molecular Weight Polyethylene
    (UHMWP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    Ultra High Molecular Weight

It's a polyethylene plastic. It's the white, kinda grainy feeling stuff, though it probably comes in different iterations.
    Well...I had SOME of the letters correct! Thanks, Guys!!

Ohhhh!
    The white, kinda grainy feeling stuff! Why didn't you say that in the first place??

Thank you all. Knowledge is power

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    OK....I have a Jet 10" Left Tilt cabinet saw. I would like to get a much better fence than the original eXacta fence that came with the saw. I would ....?
    Hi Dennis
    whatever you do...call Rick at Gen'l Ind Supply (1-800-371-2220 one of our sponsors) and tell him you're from Saw Mill Creek. He'll cut you a good deal on Powermatic and Jet stuff.
    I just got a new comm PM66 fence only for $90
    Definitely a good place.
    best mike

PS Mr. Becker,

The " Mr" is a sign of respect. I think I have 10 years on you but am just a child when it comes to WW. Thanks for sharing all the power.

TJH

That's that high density slick plastic that the Jet Xacta fence. It's slick. But it is also easily distorted by the mounting screws and other "ethereal forces" so they tend not to be perfectly flat. That's why Jamie is noticing a gap with a jointed board against his fence.
    Jim --

You're correct. In my fence, the bow was primarily in the UHMW faces. Last night I replaced them with wood, and the fence is now usable.

This is a case of "What are those guys thinking?" They're selling to woodworkers. Woodworkers love wood. In this fence, wood stays straighter than the plastic. Even nice clear hardwood costs less than UHMW plastic. So instead of choosing the material which is less expensive, performs better, and is loved by the customer, somebody chose plastic. Doh!

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    This is a case of "What are those guys thinking?" They're selling to woodworkers. Woodworkers love wood. In this fence, wood stays straighter than the plastic. Even nice clear hardwood costs less than UHMW plastic. So instead of choosing the material which is less expensive, performs better, and is loved by the customer, somebody chose plastic. Doh!
    I "think they were thinking" that the UHMW will wear "forever"...and in that, they are largely correct. It's a very durable and slippery material. But it has a downside and that is it can distort easily. Some folks actually shim it on the fence to make it level. Like you, I'm going to replace the faces...in my copious free time. It's on the list, but the list is long.