Thread: plate rail-groove question

plate rail-groove question

On a shelf where there will be standing plates or platters (for display), are there customary or standard dimensions of the groove? How wide? How deep? What shape? How far from the back edge of the shelf?
    Thanks for anyone's assistance.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    On a shelf where there will be standing plates or platters (for display), are there customary or standard dimensions of the groove? How wide? How deep? What shape? How far from the back edge of the shelf?
    Thanks for anyone's assistance.
    Alan
    When I built a wall pantry, I put in a double groove. I used a 3/8" round nose bit, making the groove about 1/4" wide. The back edge of the first groove was 1-3/4" from the back wall. The second groove's back edge was 2-3/8" from the back wall of the pantry.

I used a double groove so my wife could display both small and large plates at about the same tilt angle.

I'm no expert, so I advise you to take a piece of scrap wood and play with the grooves and size plates you want displayed and go from there.
    Possumpoint

I use a 1/4 in router bit (flat bottom) [cause that's what I got].
    Make the slot 1-5/8 inches from the back - 1/4 wide by 1/4 inch deep - taper the sharp edge on the back side of the slot with a block plane.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA