Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project finished...Finally

Dave, as usual, your work is top-notch. But, just think of all the marking knives you could have made with that nice stock!!

You're making me laugh Lars. The stock used for the table isn't up to the spec required for the marking knives. The stripes are too broad and there aren't enough of them. Scale of project really enters into the way you choose your figured stock. Larger pieces can have wider and less frequent stipes, but small stuff looks lousy with a small number of wide stripes. It's something to think about every time you use any kind of figured stock on any woodworking project.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave,
    That is a real classic looking table! Beautiful proportions and tremendous craftmanship. As soneone has already stated, the woodworking and the finishing expertise is quite evident in a piece like that. Congratulations on completing it.
    I wish I could complete about half of the partial projects that I have in my shop.

Jim

Dave

Look, I have to be honest here ... I am not sure that I would have chosen chardonnay. I think a good cabinet sauvignog would have complimented the timber better!

What a wonderful result. I am very taken with the table, and your fine workmanship (is this now a sexist term?) is so evident. A fine, fine heirloom piece.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hey Dave,

I really get a warm furry feeling from this great table! So many things to like about it. First thing I noticed was the curve of the legs--really graceful. In addition to the legs, the degree of difficulty of some of the aspects is really high, like that knuckle joint for the swing leg, plus the long rule joint, and also the stuck molding all around the top edge which is at a pretty hard angle to the grain all the way.

The color is sensational, and it has an aged look to it that really says 'hand made'.

Wonderful project! Wiley

wonderful

Dave,
    Wonderful design and execution. You mentioned it was the last piece. Do you have a picture of the ensemble? Do you worry about the radiator heaters adversily affecting the legs or finish at all?
    Great job.
    Dave

7. Dave,

I wanted to comment earlier, but I was away.

The table is excellent. You did a perfect job of matching the grain in the tops, so good in fact that until I read about, I thought you had used full width boards. Grain matching in any wood is difficult but as you well know it is particularly difficult with curly maple.
    I also like the finish, which brought out the color and figure very well.
    I’ve seen these in mahogany and walnut, but yours in figured maple beats them all.

Rob Millard

I had to log in just to see what everyone was talking about (pix don't open otherwise)... what an exquisite piece of furniture! Love the shaping of the legs and detailing where they meet the table... the grain is orchestrated like a beautiful piece of chamber music. This will be an eye magnet in whatever room it graces, for a long long time. Kudos!

Hi Dave Jeske, The baseboard heat doesn't really get hot enough 6" away to cause the finish any damage and the wood was at about 6% moisture content so and aclimatized so I'm not concerned about warp, twist, or other movement. I don't have a picture of the dining room but can take one tonight.

Thanks again to everyone for their kind comments.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dining Room Pictures- as Promised

Since Dave Jeske asked about the table and how if was related to the rest of the dining room furniture I just went in and took a few pictures. I didn't bother about the handkerchief table since you already saw it. The rest of the stuff is all tiger maple too, except for the Windsor chairs of course
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Beautiful work Dave!!

Truly gorgeous Dave. I remember the cherry Queen Anne gate leg table from some time back; I'm guessing that is in another room, huh?

And I agree with Derek. I am more of a cabernet guy, but I'd take what you are showing gladly.

Thanks for the Pictures

Dave,
    Wow, what a room full of beautiful furniture. I really like your cupboard too. I give a toast to you! Here in Oregon's northern Wilamette Valley one of the best wines is Pinot Noir but we do make some pretty good Chardonnay also.
    Dave

Nice work Dave!

Matt