Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am looking at the Dewalt dwp611 trim router, any opinions?

Blog Entries

Question I am looking at the Dewalt dwp611 trim router, any opinions?

I am looking at the Dewalt dwp611 trim router.
    Does anyone have any opinions on it?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I love it so much, I plan on getting a second one. Light and sturdy.

I bought one a few months back and really like it. It is the only smaller router I have had. It has gotten use so far with roundovers and larger size inlays. I bought the dust collector hookups for both bases when I bought it. They are inexpensive but I find them to work well when not working on the edge. I get the most use out of the plunge base with the D.C. hooked to it. The base and bit changes, and adjustments have been problem free for me. The built in
    LED light is also handy, my older larger router sure didn't have that! I use a shop vac for D.C. With it.

About like the other 10 trimmers, nothing to see here.
    Light, powerful, has LED, good collet, brake pad motor lock (that can slip), quiet,
    work visibility ok, heavier than most, VS, and easy to steal (like mine was).
    Replaced it with a Ridgid R2401, which is not much better but has the best up/down mechanism of all trimmers.

I went with the Porter Cable for no other reason than it was on sale and it wasn't a Bosch Colt.

At work I bought a bunch of Bosch Colts. Students can mangle a Bosch Colt collet faster than I can buy them. They are extremely fragile. They also immediately stripped the vertical adjustment threads. The Porter Cable collet/adjustment seems to be bullet proof. If you're ham fisted, you might check the collet robustness of the DeWalt and also the replacement cost.

Blog Entries
    I have a Bosch Colt and don't perceive anything fragile about it. Your students must be ????

I have four routers and PC and Dewalt. The Dewalt is my second favorite router. I never use the PC.

I prefer soft start routers and I never slam them into a board.

I have looked at the router you are considering and I admire what I see.

I originally bought the 611 kit with the fixed and plunge bases. I liked it so much I bought a second motor for the unused base so they would both be available with separate setups.

It's really nice to leave the big routers on the shelf and do simple things like round overs with one hand.

Love mine. Always surprised at the power the 611 has. I'm an unabashed DeWalt fan boy. I've never had a product from them.

We've had Colt's in our shop, and I can agree about their "fragility". They're OK if you take care of them, but the height adjustment is a weak point.

We now use the 611's. The biggest issue with the 611's is the bearings, which don't last all that long with heavy use. Solid surface materials tend to be especially bad, causing contamination and bearing failure quite often.
    The bottom bearing is mounted in a plastic "Carrier", and held in with a plastic nut.
    The good news is that the total cost for a replacement bearing, carrier, and nut is about $10, and they can be replaced in about 10 minutes after you've done it once or twice.

Personally, I like the Makita RT0701.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Its pretty much the current trim/palm router standard. You cant go wrong with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have two and may buy a third. Sold my Bosch Colt.

Mike

[Let me add what I like about the DeWalt: (1) light on the work, (2) plunge base, (3) sufficient power]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-26-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Also the edge guide is only $16 on Amazon right which is the cheapest its ever been: LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    When I bought my Colt, it was the only quality small router. It is good enough that I have no reason to sell it and buy another router.

My DW621 is the best router that I have and is the one I go to when have a really tough job.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the information, I ordered the DeWalt 611.
    Dennis

I wish Bosch would release their new Colt, it is supposed to have better height adjustment. For now IMO the 611 is the best in class.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.