Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craftsman Table Saw Fence Upgrade?

Incra Fence

I have a Ridged table saw and wanted to up grade my fence system. I ended up with the Incra TS-LS http://www.incra.biz/Products/TSLS.html
    It took about 2 hours to install it. I did have to do a little modifications on the motor mount on the table saw but nothing that would affect the saw. Also Incras customer service was great.
    The Beach Bum Woodworker

[QUOTE=Bart Leetch]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler
    Eric.

First off. Welcome to Sawmill Creek. Pleased to meet ya'.

Don't be afraid to drill the cast iron on your saw if you can't find a bolt on replacement. Cast iron is very mild. It has a somewhat "granular nature" to it, so when drilling, use a low speed to start, lots of cutting fluid, and drill pilot holes. This will prevent the drill from trying to walk,and follow the grain on you.

Cast iron is self lubricating because it has either fine flakes of Graphite in it if it is ordinary cast iron or in ball like form if it is Nodular cast iron also know as spheroidal graphite iron ( Ductile iron)(info from the Machinery's Handbook) so you don't need oil. You can drill it with a common HSS drill bit. Yes drill a pilot hole.
    Ya' know, I've always had problems with CI and very low grade steels. The drill bits seem to want to "wander" in them. I started using a low speed, pilot holes and cutting fluid(Aqua-Tap). I'll have to try without the fluid. If I can avoid the mess, I'm all for it.

Thanks Bart.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Williams
    Anyone have pics of the vega fence on their craftsman table saw that want to share. I would love to see how it fits I am very close to making my decision.
    This isn't my setup Eric, but hopefully the owner won't mind me posting a link to some great pics.

http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/wo...vegafence.html
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Ok so I decided on the Vega 50 inch fence but where to buy it anyone?

I bought a Craftsman 113.298762 for $100.00 at a garage sale. It was in pretty good shape but still had the stock fence. I purchased and installed a Saw Stop Premium Fence Assembly. I only had to make 2 (two) changes to get it working. File a relief in only one place for my miter gauge bar on the front rail and being as I have the webbed cast iron wings the rollers had to be repositioned to roll evenly on the back rail of the casting. The fence is easy to adjust and it moves as if it were on glass. I am quite pleased with the work needed for the finished result and the cash outlay, $199.00 for the fence. $100.00 for the saw. I have added a link belt from Harbor Freight and that got rid of any vibrations it had.

I rebuild a lot of old Craftsman saws as a hobby and have put literaly dozens of shop built Biesemeyer Home Shop clones on them as all of the originals drug on the table, wouldn't move straight and lock down, measure both ends, adjust, measure, etc. Bought a C-man the other day and said to my self, "I wonder if these can ever be made to work as a fence should?" Took the rails off, sanded all the contact surfaces smooth, made sure the rear locking clamp was working freely, mounted and adjusted the rails to get 1/16 clearance under the fence, waxed rails, adjusted the little nylon thingy that rubs on the back side of the front rail to keep the fence straight, and what a surprise! IT MOVES SRAIGHT WITH ONE HAND, LOCKS DOWN SQUARE AND SOLID, ACCURATE WITH THE TAPE!!! The Craftsman fence will never be a Vega or Biese. but if you are really into "Dad's Saw" and willing to put a little work into it, I think you would find it very useable. I and most others have always bashed the C-man fence but I now wonder how many have ever taken the time to do the tune-up as I described? Good luck in what ever you decide.

Another 113 owner with a vega fence here. These are not bad saws at all, and the fence upgrade stopped any thoughts I had of upgrading to a 10" cabinet saw (no comment on that Oliver 260 I'm trying to justify...)

I didn't have to drill anything. The Vega fence uses a HEAVY round bar on the front that can be aligned on most saws (this one included) without having to drill. You mount the brackets to your existing holes and adjust the bar on the brackets.

The one complaint I've heard about them is their lack of sturdiness. True, they're not a Bies professional model, but I don't exactly have employees slapping a truckload of plywood against mine 8 hours a day either. I have no complaints. It turned a workable hobbyist saw into a machine I could rely on for VERY accurate cuts. Set it up right, though. Align the blade to the right miter slot and then align the fence to the same slot and you're good to go.

I recently sold mine with the exacta-fence upgrade. It worked well, but at the price point I wished I had bought the Vega or a T-Square clone. My exacta fence always needed a little nudge to stay square. I think. If I had changed out the bolts to ones that would lock down better, it would not have the issue. My vote would be the Vega or build your own if you can weld. Still have to finish my SawStop fence install. So, I may not be the best one to talk. Dan