Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transporting rasps

An idea for you Mike

Here is a quick sketch of an idea.

Rasp holder.jpg

just a board (thin ply) with a stop board at one end to stop the rasp from sliding out. The leather holder strip near the end would be closer to the tips than shown. Basically justslide the rasps out handle first until the tips are free and then pull them tip first out of the elastic holders.

The leather holding strip could also be something else. A knife case I have uses thin metal sheet strip but a knife blade is a lot thinner than a rasp. But if you like a little metal work then you could do that also. But thick leather would work well I think and give good wear. An old belt would be just the go. Just screw or whatever (rivets would be OK) the strip to the board so that when it does wear (which unless you are rasping away in the holder, shouldn't be so often ) you can simply replace it.

You could also lift the leather tip strip off the backing board with a packing board if you want to change the alignment to suit you rasp and handle shape so they sit better.

The elastic should be heavy duty to give a bit of holding power for heavy rasps when carrying them.

The board is sketched with a handle for carrying it. Also some holes for hanging it from your wall. You could just quickly sew up a tote bag to slide the hole thing in and walk away. or make a wooden box as suggested by Zahid and just pop the board in for travel. When not out of the shop the hole thing can be hung on the wall or slid into a drawer as is.

For something fancy cover the back board with leather or whatever.

You never have to pack and unpack all your files and rasps. Just pick them all up and go.

Or make a mirror image of the backing board and with the stop board on the other end and put little block at the locations of the handles. You can hinge it together or just clips like a clam shell. put all together the rasps can't move.

Anyway just an idea. To much time on my hands at the moment I suppose

Robert

Robert - thanks for the idea. I understand what you're describing. I'll make a decision on what to do soon.

I appreciate your efforts to describe and document this.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Years ago I wanted some kind of pouch that would roll up small and carry specific tools I needed for racing enduros and just plain old woods/trail riding. I went to an Army and Navy store and found a great pouch for $2. I still have and use the pouch, but I don't ride anymore. You might want to look into something like that. The Army makes/buys great quality stuff.
    The Fiery Gizzard!