Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Delta Drill Press Delayed - Again!

New Delta Drill Press Delayed - Again!

Looks like Delta's new drill press Model 20-959LX is delayed until May.

See http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=6186

Nice. Looks like I may have to cancel my order with Amazon.

ETA is June for west coast Canadians on this Delta 20 959LX 20

I am beginning to wonder if there are some design problems with the drill. It will be nearly a year from the time I saw one at the Atlanta show last August and the time it actually comes to market. One wonders if Delta jumped the gun in introducing it. The Powermatic or Steel City model is beginning to look more and more appealing.

Did anyone on this board go to the Atlanta show and put the drill press through its paces.
    We have a video demo of a Tauton Press (fine woodworking) saying it has all the desirable features. I tbegs the question as how well they have been executed.
    There must be a major show coming up somewhere in North America. Show up with a 4" by 6" by 12" block of eastern maple or oak and have at it.
    Perhaps some else has a better idea of how to rigorously test the drill press with out being abusive to the the tool or the staff at the exhibit booth?
    I would look for run out - the numbers hopefully lower than .005 , the variable speed - the smoothness and construction and vibration is the work piece walking off the table as the machine runs at 3000 rpm.
    There are another half dozen issues to consider but those would be the top of my list.
    There table tilting front to back and left to right has already been established as setting the bench mark having been in use on their other drill press models.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Shnitka
    Did anyone on this board go to the Atlanta show and put the drill press through its paces.
    We have a video demo of a Tauton Press (fine woodworking) saying it has all the desirable features. I tbegs the question as how well they have been executed.
    There must be a major show coming up somewhere in North America. Show up with a 4" by 6" by 12" block of eastern maple or oak and have at it.
    Perhaps some else has a better idea of how to rigorously test the drill press with out being abusive to the the tool or the staff at the exhibit booth?
    I would look for run out - the numbers hopefully lower than .005 , the variable speed - the smoothness and construction and vibration is the work piece walking off the table as the machine runs at 3000 rpm.
    There are another half dozen issues to consider but those would be the top of my list.
    There table tilting front to back and left to right has already been established as setting the bench mark having been in use on their other drill press models.
    I saw the press demoed at the Atlanta Show, but not enough to truly answer your questions. I was convinced I would buy that press until the repeated delays in delivery. I just bought a Steel City press last week. I put the $500 I saved towards some nice accessories like Lee Valley brad points and forstner bits and a Woodpecker drill press table.

[quote=Daniel Shnitka]There must be a major show coming up somewhere in North America. Show up with a 4" by 6" by 12" block of eastern maple or oak and have at it. [\quote]

Daniel, the AWFS is in Las Vegas the last week of July. That's the next major show I'm aware of. Everyone will be there - the Convention Center is supposed to be filled to capacity - all of it!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

[quote=Nancy Laird]
    There must be a major show coming up somewhere in North America. Show up with a 4" by 6" by 12" block of eastern maple or oak and have at it. [\quote]

Daniel, the AWFS is in Las Vegas the last week of July. That's the next major show I'm aware of. Everyone will be there - the Convention Center is supposed to be filled to capacity - all of it!!

Nancy
    Thanks. Now, if I could jugle my holiday time. That would be show worth flying down to see.
    Daniel

[quote=Nancy Laird]
    There must be a major show coming up somewhere in North America.
    Large show here in Tampa last week of March. I know Mini Max will be there; not sure about Delta.

The 20-959LX on the Delta Website

Also - nice picture of drillpress on the their website, finally. Also nice of them to put the link to the manual.... perhaps eventually they will actually include the manual.... follow the link and you go to their service site and login and eventually told that this product is either discontinued or obsolete.... but really they just haven't entered it into their system.... which is probably shorthand for there are lots of problems with this project which means it is probably not only behind but over budget....

Really too bad because from reaction in the marketplace they have probably hit a home run, provided they can deliver.

Cheers, Bill
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

I just checked on Amazon and they are still not available, has anyone found out the story of what is happening with this Drill Press?

They all probably had lead paint on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    They all probably had lead paint on them.
    Good one.
    Gary

Delta Drill Press

I ordered this drill press back in Jan and not sure if I want to wait any longer. They arte having real problems with this drill press.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Levin View Post
    I just checked on Amazon and they are still not available, has anyone found out the story of what is happening with this Drill Press?
    I heard April 2008.