Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CD Cabinet FINALLY Finshed-Delivered! *PICS*

You've given birth! Great job Dennis. How many CDs will it hold? Did you make any money on it? Let's see, over 9 months, averaging 1 hour a week, that's 39 hours - but you probably spent less time than that. Do you spray or brush your lacquer?

Hey Dennis,

Wonderful job on the cabinet! Not your "typical" storage box, by any stretch of the imagination! Very nice touch with the inlays and I'm very impressed with the obvious and meticulous attention to detail. Just another shining example of handmade quality, which I need to strive for! Very inspiring and thanks for the looks-ie!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Wow!

Wow! That's great, Dennis! Very nice job on a very creative and attractive piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

WOW Very nice.

Dennis, that thing is fantastic. Excellent job, thanks for sharing.

Be well,

Doc

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Cabinet

Dennis,
    Great looking cabinet. I know the customer was well pleased. Maybe with all the money you're making on furniture, you can quit doing all that "call-in work" on the week-ends. Just tell them you don't want to be on call anymore.

Great work... Thanks for letting us see the pictures.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Beautiful, Dennis! Some wonderful accent touches with the diamonds on the sides, the lights, and of course the musical notes! Congrats on a job well done!

I also like the customized engraved emblem....... is your friend willing to do this for others? I'd be interested if so!

Eric

Dennis,

That looks really nice as everyone has said. Very Impressive..

Randy

nice

sharp, Dennis. very sharp. (no pun intended)

b

David Blangger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    I didn't like the plywood veneer on the "backbone" of the cabinet, so I made my own veneer out of QSRO and sanded to 1/8" thick. This was my first veneer job and I believe that it came out pretty nice. And Yes...that is a wooden switch plate cover. I made it from some poplar in the shop. I just couldn't see putting one of those cheap plastic plate covers in this cabinet after spending as much time on this cabinet as I did.
    Dennis,

You have truly stepped up to the next level. You have shamed me to strech a little further. Now my line about *...not liking xxxxxxxx on a project* seems hollow when I could have been a little more creative and changed xxxxxxx.

Wow, I mean WOW, did I say WOW!!!

I likey, I also would be interested in knowing more about the brass logo plates and if the person would be willing to do others. I have a wood burner type, but it is only good for placing in hidden locations. I would love to include logos in a spot that can be seen. I recently bought a leather chair and notice they place a small medalion on the outside. I thought it was a neat idea.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

First of all...THANK YOU for all your kind comments and compliments. Answers to your questions.

The music lines and notes were "inlayed" from made up solid stock. I had to make a template for the router inlay kit to make the music notes. The lines were made on the TS with a thin kerf blade cutting only 1/8" deep. Making the lines out of Ebony was really touch since I was sanding wood strips basically 1/8" by 1/8"....and Ebony is brittle to begin with. and the connecting bar on the notes are only 1/8" wide and thick and I can't begin to tell you how many of those I broke before I had enough notes to make up the panel.

Todd mentioned that I may have spent less than 39 hours on the cabinet. NOT....total hours spent from idea to completition is 192 total hours. I believe that I can get the next one down to around 90 hours.

I done a mix of top coat application. Some was sprayed and then brushed over and some was brushed and then sprayed over. I did use the Deft Brushing Lacquer and I like how it applies and finishes.

Did I make any money on this project? A little. I made expenses plus about $200. This was for a friend and co-worker of mine so I didn't charge what I WILL BE CHARGING for the next one.

This cabinet will hold about 918 CD's and the customer already has over 700 music CD's and none of them are burned or copied CD's....all original store bought CD's. Quiet an investment.

The cabinet is 66" tall by 30" wide (from back corner to each cabinet edge. The distance between each of the shelves is a clear 5-1/2". The sides of the cabinet are 7-1/2" wide and is 30" across the front.

The emblem was ingraved by and ex-ponder and will engrave them for anyone that wants to purchase them.....at least that is what he said last year when I got mine done. I will post his contact info later.

One of the things I have learned out of all this is:
    <b><i>
    We never get any better at our craft if we never force ourselves to "stretch" our knowledge, skill and attitude.!!</i></b>

Yes...it was VERY painful.
    Yes...it was VERY tedious.
    Yes...it was VERY labor intensive.
    Yes...it was VERY frustrating.
    Yes...it was VERY challenging.
    and
    Yes...it was VERY "rewarding".

I had to rebuild several of the pieces more than THREE TIMES to get it right before I put it to "fine wood". Just the inlay work alone was 1 complete month of part-time work to get is all "right".

I used three different types of glue on this project:
    Titebond II
    Titebone Liquid Hide Glue
    Elmer White Glue

The lighting came from Rockler and the switch came from the local Lowes and was $30 for the switch.

Terry H. asked what was next? Well...I still have to finish up the two chests-of-drawers for my two oldest sons. Yes...I know it....they have been in the making for over a year now.....I intend on getting those done and in their room before Christmas. Then it will be on to some adirondack chairs and then on to a much needed entertainment center.
    After all that? A master bedroom suite for LOML and I since we are still using furniture from when I was SIX Years old....

Once again, thanks for all your kind comments. I'm just not so sure I would do this project again.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis,

What a magnificent project. It would be a proud piece of furniture in any one's home.
    Last edited by Ray Johnson; 12-03-2003 at 2:41 PM.
    RayJ

Yes! very nice, what they all said. I particularly like the way you built the inside corner.

Rich
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Wow!

Dennis -

Very nice work as usual. Interesting design and concepts included.

Well Done,
    Ted