Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanging outlets

Hanging outlets

I'm nearing the point in my wiring project where I could hang a couple of outlets. In my casual research online and at the local BORG, I haven't seen any hanging outlets or the wire traps that suspend the cable and outlet box.

Where would one find these?

Thanks. I know I'm asking alot of questions without posting any pictorial evidence that I am converting the garage to a shop, but I really am. I'll have pictures forthcoming. Right now I can't even see my table saw. It's a mess.

Blog Entries
    I picked up a 30' reel of 12 gauge with a triple tap on the end on sale at HF for about $35. One of HF's needles in the haystack. It has worked great for over a year and shows no signs of failure. More versital than just a hanging outlet and automatically retracts out of the way when not in use. I'm gonna grab another one next time they're on sale.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I made mine by hanging a box on the ceiling. I attached a length of the blue flexable conduit to the box and a socket with a box (I used one of those outside boxes that hold a socket -- it keeps the dust out) on the other end.

It is secure and it flexes if hit -- I have it around 3.5 feet off the floor -- and use it for the tabel saw and planer -- oh, and it is a 220 line.

Your local "real" electrical supply house will have the strain-reliefs and connections for overhead hanging outlets. Forget about stuff like this at the 'borg...too specialized. I recommend you use twist locks if this is a 240v application. (I prefer them even for normal outlet locations)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Search eBay for "cable grips" or "cord grips". Or do same at places like mcmaster.com or grainger.com
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Thanks guys. Pointed me in the right direction yet again.

Blog Entries
    I just finished the electrical in my main shop yesterday. I ran three seperate 12 gauge wire circuits to 20 AMP CB's. They are terminated in the sub pannel I had put in my shop. It has a couple 240's for when I need them.

I put three regular and one GFI outlet in the ceiling joists. The GFI is above my sharpening station. My wife puchased a reel that we mounted in the ceiling of our garage renovation. She informs me that Sears carries a wide variety of Craftsman reels down to 10' cords. I plan on hanging small reels at each outlet.

I just joined the ranks of the Festool faithful. I am determined to have a clear floor path for my Festool vac / dust collection system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hoffmann
    I made mine by hanging a box on the ceiling. I attached a length of the blue flexable conduit to the box and a socket with a box (I used one of those outside boxes that hold a socket -- it keeps the dust out) on the other end.

It is secure and it flexes if hit -- I have it around 3.5 feet off the floor -- and use it for the tabel saw and planer -- oh, and it is a 220 line.
    Bob,

FYI, that's not an NEC-compliant installation because the flex conduit isn't listed for an application like that - the box is supposed to be supported. I'm not saying it won't work, but before you sell your house (whenever that is) I'd replace it with a plain old ceiling-mounted receptacle so a house inspector doesn't ding you for it.

Rob

Bob,
    I used the Harbor Freight variety (ITEM 91470-5VGA, on sale for $39). I have 4 of them and so far the performed flawlessly--even after my nephew used one as a swing rope.
    The HF seems to be identical to the Northern Tool and a couple of others, just for less money. I generally do not buy HF for any equipment that will get repeated use, but the electrical reel seems to be well made.
    Cheers,
    Bernhard

Rob,
    I also think that it is not NEC compliant to have hanging receptacles. I think that the equipment cord is supposed to be plugged into a ceiling outlet using a twist lock or something similar. Cable reels are ok as long as the size wire is gaged to fit the equipment requirements.
    I had all of the supplies purchased to hang five plug in receptacles using the compression fittings. Before I did the work I had some other work done and inspected, the inspector informed that what I wanted to do was not NEC or local code acceptable. He told me that I had to surface mount the plugs on or in the ceiling and use the equipment power cord to plug into them. I ran conduit from a ceiling box instead.
    David B

I used 12-3 Bus drop cable, available at a real electrical supply house, and the "chinese finger trap" Kellems grips on each end, and a Hubbell 4 way box. My inspector loved it!!
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

I think I have the same thing as Glenn, got it from HD and was about the same price, even has a little led light that tells you if its powered or not.
    !2 gauge is heavy enough for most anything you'll ever plug into it, and the big plus is you don't have to deal with code, its cheap and you can move it to where evers there's an outlet.
    Won't do 220, but you didn't say if you needed 220.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker
    the inspector informed that what I wanted to do was not NEC or local code acceptable. He told me that I had to surface mount the plugs on or in the ceiling and use the equipment power cord to plug into them.
    David, what the inspector made you do doesn't make sense to me as I've seen a number of professionally installed ceiling drops hard-wired to boxes, using strain reliefs and terminated in a single female plug (usually twist lock). (Not a hanging box, however) These were heavy rubber coated cords held securely by a compression fitting on the box as well as the wire strain relief shroud. Perhaps it was a local code, but outside of that...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-15-2007 at 9:16 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

14. I agree with Jim that it is most likely a local code. I work at a "real" electrical wholesale and have never heard of that. In my shop I ran pvc to 4square junction box with a strain relief to support the cord. I had no problem with the inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley
    I picked up a 30' reel of 12 gauge with a triple tap on the end on sale at HF for about $35. One of HF's needles in the haystack. It has worked great for over a year and shows no signs of failure. More versital than just a hanging outlet and automatically retracts out of the way when not in use. I'm gonna grab another one next time they're on sale.
    Got the same one and it has been installed for a few months and it works perfect.