Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Plumbers Out There?

It appears that soldering copper tubing is like all other opinions, and they all stink but mine. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions above.

I installed over 100 ft. of 1/2" copper for my compressed air distribution system, carrying 110# pressure, a couple years ago. I used the standard Burns-o-matic torch you get at the borg. The standard propane will and does work.

To use any of the gases or torches, you must start with clean copper. Use a joint cleaning tool, emery cloth, or steel wool if you must. Then coat the inside and outside with flux that is made for copper tubing.

Evenly heat the joint, and you will know you have a good joint with you see the solder sucked up into the joint by capillary action. Do not move the joint in any manor for a minute, and do not throw water on it it cool it. Any movement of the joint while still in a plastic state will ruin the bond of the solder to the copper.

Sweating copper is not magic, it just takes a little practice.
    Best Regards, Ken

I've also used a 'borg supplied torch perfectly fine for sweating copper...but I have to admit that it looked like a whole lot more fun when my plumber was doing some work with the "big torch"!! No lines...no waiting...just quick heat and sweat!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kraft
    Thre real reason to go with MAPP gas is the introduction of lead free solder. Propane is fine for lead based solder, but will never get the joint hot enough for the lead free stuff.

Bill,
    I respectfully disagree with the above quote. I and the professional plumbers I know both within my company and outside use lead free solder with propane heat. The main reason for other, hotter fuels, when used with lead free solder is time=$$ savings. Silver based solder like sil-foss and others needs more heat to flow into the joint properly, but the lead-free solder sold at most BORGS and plumbing supply houses does not have a high enough silver content to justify needing more heat.
    And I too have to respectfully disagree with your statement. I've tried the new solder several times using propane only, and yes you can get hot enough to flow a joint, but just barely. It takes awhile, and you have to keep the torch moving over the joint to get the heat all around it. Frankly this takes too much time, and you can still end up with a suspect (cold) joint. You also run a higher risk of extensive scorching of surrounding materials. Mapp gas burns hotter, and is much faster and consequently, also much safer.

I have a good friend and neighbor who has a successful pluming business, and he won't use propane only anymore for the reasons I've listed.

The best solution for homeowners is to get a kit that costs about $30 at the borg that has a push button ignition torch head, and a bottle of Mapp gas. The works great when your stading on the top rung of a ladder reaching in to a tight space to sweat a joint. I'll never go back to propane only.