Thread: SawStop Concerns

SawStop Concerns

Just a few minutes ago, I found out (Sawmill Creek on another thread) that SawStop was no longer selling/shipping direct. I called SawStop to ask for some clarification (if the policy is true, how long it has been in place, etc.). I spoke to a girl (who sounded like it was her part time job after high school. She could tell me nothing, except that they were no longer selling directly to customers. I am apprehensive that this a beginning step from the company to disconnect themselves from the customer service end of the business?

Has anyone had any experience, in the recent past, with SawStop, in regards to replacement parts that were defective or needed replaced due to damage? It seems odd to me that a company, who has built their business on word of mouth from customers and a great product, would simply disconnect themselves from those who are the essence of their business. I want one of these saws, really bad. And, as I wrote in another post, I have never heard any negative comments regarding their CS. That was before I heard about the policy change. But what happens now if/when a part goes bad, are we to rely on the CS at the local retailer where the SawStop was purchased? And if that same retailer decides to no longer carry the SawStop saw (as has happened in the past with other lines of machinery). And what happens if the retailer doesn't have the customer oriented attitude (I think everyone has experienced that at least once) that SawStop once has/had? Are we out in the street for $4000, or at the very least, using a saw that cannot perform to its full potential. Just makes me very apprehensive, and I scratch my head and think twice about spening this much money. Maybe it is just me. Please give me your thoughts/recent experience on SawStop CS, part replacement due to shipping damage or otherwise. Thanks, Bill

I got my sawstop from Woodcraft who has asked me several times now how I like my saw and made sure it was 100%.

When I got the saw, I had an insert screw issue (or so I thought). I called sawstop and thanked them for a wonderful saw and told them I did not like the way the screw sat in the insert. They rushed out a brand new insert for me to use. Turns out there was a bit of laminate under the screw (my dumb mistake).

This company is not turning away from customers, but just letting teh retail market of centers like Woodcraft distribute the poduct. It also gives you a local retailer to call for sales help as well. Some people do not like purchases of this size without face to face.

I can see why they are doing this.

Plus it lets the dealers make money as well - I am all for local business guys profiting along with the internet deals. Local dealer arranged for the free bandsaw day last weekend. We basically got a free bandsaw box clas along with a tuning overview.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I would look at this as a natural "growth of business" progression. As retail outlets are gained, as a manufacturer or distributor, you do not want to be a competitor with your dealers. If you were, you wouldn't have any dealers hence, less exposure in the market and less sales. They probably sold direct initially because there was no dealership network and they needed cashflow to survive.
    Steve

What Steve said. Further, it's generally unusual for most "big" tool manufacturers to sell direct with some exceptions, like Grizzly. (And they have a dealer channel with a differentiated product line to support that buying model) SS is just moving into the normal distribution world which lets them concentrate better on producting product and hopefully developing new ones. They are pretty much trying to move beyond "start up" mode.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Anthony - no worries mate.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

With SawStop going to retailers like Woodcraft and other distributors is allows more people to "see" and "touch" the product. At the price they are selling for I would want to see the quality of the product first hand than to just call the factory and say "send me one..."

I think I would be more concerned if nobody wanted to distribute them!

Retailers, including Woodcraft, much prefer to sell products that are not sold direct to customers by the manufacturer. So, if you want to sell wholesale to retailers, you have to stop selling direct. SawStop may also want to have some on the ground set up and routine customer service.

The car or truck you drive is not sold to you direct by the manufacture. It is sold through a privately owned dealer in your home town. If you have a problem a dealer is going to have way more pull than you to get the problem solved. They are a customer who buys several a year from them.

I think you are concerned over nothing.