Thread: Dado blade and pressure treated lumber

Dado blade and pressure treated lumber

I would like to make some half lap joints in pressure treated lumber, but I'm a little aprehensive using my expensive (to me) Freud Super Dado set on PT lumber. Will this garbage lumber trash my dado? Any alternative methods for cutting the half laps?
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Make multiple cuts with a circular saw, then knock out the pieces with a hammer and chisel bottoms flat.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

It's just SYPine....won't hurt the blade. Now that said, the method described above is a better idea....however...be aware that PT lumber shrinks and moves a lot. Lap joints will not look the same later unless you use totally dry lumber.

I work with this stuff every single day and there's a new process called Micro ACQ in our area that's not too bad on the shrinking part, but I still wouldn't reecommend using it over say Cypress or Cedar.

Dan,
    I thought about that method, but with the quantity of lap joints to make, I would have about 360 trips across the blade with the nibble technique.

Kelly,
    This is an outdoor, somewhat concealed application, so looks are not too important. I was mostly concerned about adverse affects, if any, on my stack dado.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't think that using your dado blade on treated wood would present any problem. However, make sure you clean the sawdust off the table surface and wipe down the blades after use. The chemicals can cause rust on your steel or cast iron. Aslo dispose of the sawdust in a safe manner. Don't use it for compost.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the info. I already waxed the daylights out of the saw table before starting and I'll simply do a thorough cleaning of the stack dado when I'm done.
    Kyle in K'zoo

Be sure to clean out the inside of the sawbox carefully. Treated lumber will cause rust on anything it gets on. Whenever I cut that junk, I clean as best I can and then spray WD40 liberally on surfaces inside the saw box. Be sure to clean out the motor fan and cooling area too.
    Howie.........

Try using one of the cheap dado blade sets from HF. I think they go for about $25.00. Also If you have a RAS, I would use that instead of my table saw. The RAS with its wood table top and opened design will be easyer to clean, and use a good dust mask.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jude Tuliszewski
    and use a good dust mask.
    It's a good thing. A really good thing.

I second the RAS if you have one. I've got an old craftsman you could use if you want to drive up and get it. We can store it in your basement. It won't be in my way there.

Jim

I third the RAS. I would spend $20 for the HF stack dado and leave the Freud in the drawer.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cybulski
    I third the RAS. I would spend $20 for the HF stack dado and leave the Freud in the drawer.

Jeff
    Three good answers, all of which I agree to!

Well, I ran the dados last night with the Freud. Afterwards, I gave the blades a hot bath in soapy water, dried them lovingly with a towel, and popped them into a 170 deg. F. oven to dry out the nooks and crannies. The cabinet saw received a good vacuuming, brushing, and blowdown with the air hose. I even carefully swept up all the dust (more like mud) and disposed of it in a sealed cardboard box, instead of composting the nasty stuff. I think the HF beater dado would be a wise investment. I'll have to check out the local HF wannabe store in town to see if they have a similar "quality import" stack set.....thanks for all the replies
    Kyle in K'zoo