Thread: The real deal on Laguna bandsaws

The real deal on Laguna bandsaws

Just thought that I would post this as I am researching high end bandsaws to puchase for my shop. I have seen many speculations as to who makes Laguna bandsaws. I asked them tonight striaght up. ACM makes all of their saws from 16HD - 37" and they trick them out with motors and electrics.
    Adam

Yes, ACM makes the Laguna BS and also the Bridgewood PBS series saws. The Bridgewood is the "BS" frame and the Laguna is the lighter "Star" frame, according to Curt Wilke.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

3. No surprise there. Do some crawling around the forum and you'll find lots of info on this. I was in your shoes a few weeks ago and decided to go with the Bridgewood. It's also made by ACM. Unless you need more than 12" resaw (rare) the Laguna does not have an 18" saw in the price range of the 18" BW PBS-440. It depends on the type of work you do, but I found the 18" BW to be the best deal. To get 18" wheels on a Laguna, you have to step up to the LT18, so $1000 more for 6" more resaw, Laguna guides (might be better, if you like them better), and little more table real estate. The Laguna also has an aluminum fence, BW has cast iron. I didnt think it was worth an extra grand for those rare couple times I might need more than 12" resaw. And for those rare times, I could always farm it out and save the thou.

I was not aware that the PBS-440 is down to $1799! Gosh, with me living only 10 minutes away from Wilke I just might have to go down their an look again. I mean it wouldn't hurt anything right? The wife wouldn't notice the difference between it and my current 12" Hitachi, right?

That's such a great deal it almost seems illegal

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

6. Funny you mention price. I was leafing through a back issue of FWW the other day (after I bought my 440) and caught a glimpse of a Wilke ad. There was the PBS-440, advertised for $1795. The year? 1997.

great price

I think the Bridgewood pbs 440 at $1799 is a great price in the high quality Italian made 18" bandsaw nich ( same manufacture as the Laguna and Agazzani). A rugged beast at an attractive price. I like the larger Grizzly machines for best value and lots of good bells and whistles.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brewer
    I think the Bridgewood pbs 440 at $1799 is a great price in the high quality Italian made 18" bandsaw nich ( same manufacture as the Laguna and Agazzani).
    Just a slight correction, ACM manufactures different classes of saws for various companies including Laguna, Bridgewood, Felder, and Tannewitz. Agazzani makes their own saws, also very nice. If you want a PBS-440, you should not delay as there was a limited supply at the sale price.

Grade of saws for each manufacture is different but which order do they go in. It really isn't fair to say they are all the same saw just becuase they are made in the same factory. Anyone know which order high to lowest grade these go as far as the bodies go not including the guides.

ACM: makes saws for Laguna, Felder, Bridgewood and for ACM. There are two be two different line the heavier duty ones for Bridgewood & Felder Blue

Agazzani: makes saws for themselves

Centauro: makes saws for the MM and for Centauro

Meber: makes saws for themselves and use to for Laguna.

I believe there are other Italian saws but those are some of the more "popular" ones. I have owned both an Agazzani B24 and a Centauro MM24, both are very nice saws but the MM24 is just plain heavies and more massive everwhere. Good luck with your decision

I am interested in understanding Minimax MM20 and the Minimax S 500P sold outside of US. Minimax USA says the MM20 is only in US. Outside US says the S 500P is the same saw. Specs show different. But when I called the dealer with a S 500P on the floor he measured 19 1/2 resaw and 19" width the specs show 15 1/4" resaw and same width for the S500P. The specs on the S 500P show a 200lb difference between saws. Anyone shed light on this?

Second comparing weight of LT20 and MM20- is there really a 180lb difference between the saws?