Thread: Is a 6" ROS too big? A Festool query.

Is a 6" ROS too big? A Festool query.

My workshop is small. Accordingly, I build small stuff. Boxes and such. I have always used a 5" ROS. My wife recently bought me a Festool 5" ROS (not the Rotex) at Woodcraft. I think I will return it for the Rotex. I just can't figure out if I should move to the 6". As I understand it, the Festool 6" sanders run smoother with less vibration than the 5" - and this is what attracts me to them. I know the 6" dominates the Festool ROS sales, but am concerned that it might be too large for the kind of work I do.

I'd love to hear the opinion of others.

Thanks.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I've been very happy with the 6" unit, but I don't do small work that much...at least to date. The only issue I could see is if you are a "presser" when using the sander, you could potentially affect the edges more, but if you let the machine do the work without using a lot of pressure, it should work fine, even for small work. That's been my experience sanding narrow parts like rails and stiles to-date.

Oh, I'd never consider using my Rotex on small things...it's really best with two hands. (I have the older one) I do use my 150/3 for everything...in fact, I'm sanding "smaller" parts for my mirror project today with it right after I go back out to the shop after a bite for lunch.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-17-2007 at 2:08 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. Do you know if the Rotex will work well as a "stand-alone" ROS or does one need an additional ROS for the finer grit paper and fine sanding?
    Regards,

Glen

I used a 5" ROS for a long time - PC and Dewalt. I bought 6" Festool sanders, ROS and Rotex. No question that the 6" sanders make the work go more quickly - a 6" pad covers 40% more surface area than a 5" pad. I use the Festool ROS for just about all finish sanding now. I like the Rotex, but I need two hands to manage it comfortably. If your work is predominately "small", I'd look closer at keeping the 5" ROS or getting the 6" ROS, rather than the Rotex. Eventually you may own an ROS AND a Rotex, as many Festool converts discover. If you can test the Rotex at the Woodcraft store, do so, and see how you feel with the tool in your hand. There is some arguement for sticking with one size - 5" or 6" - so all of the paper will fit both sanders.

You did not mention the dust extractor (vacuum), but I would strongly recommend pairing any sander with one of the Festool dust extractors. The dust removal is amazing.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I own Makita's 6" ROS and it works like a dream. It has excellent dust collection. I can't imagine going down to a 5" unit. I build mostly tables, bookcases, chairs & desks.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Rotex vs ROS

Hi Glen: I have a 6" Festool 150/3 ROS, a 6" rotex and a ct33 dust extractor. I also agonized over the 5" vs 6" for quite a while. I had a 5" porter cable 333 and had liked it but it kept falling apart and I was having a dust problem (health). I also didn't think I needed the 6". There was a demo at a local Woodcraft by a festool rep that had all of their stuff there for our use. After using the sanders I decided to get the 6" 150/3 and it is a wonderful all around sander and I am very glad that I got it and the 6" size. It is very comfortable, effective, and great dust extraction. The sander 150/3 coupled with their dust extractor has made sanding much easier and healthier. The first Festool sander I had gotten though( before the Woodcraft demo ) is the 6" rotex. I bought it without actually seeing or using it. I had read all the comments on the Festool yahoo website and some people say it is their only sander. I personally find it quite awkward to hold and not comfortable. I use it only for special applications and my 150/3 is my go to sander. I think you might want to physically use each one before buying. My feeling is the 6" 150/3 is the best all around sander for most woodworkers to start with in the Festool line. It really is a great sander. Of course special applications could require different needs and sanders. FYI
    Gary

Hi Glan,

I have several Festool sanders, including the 6" Rotex, 6" 150/3, and a 5" ES125 EQ ROS. I also have a couple of the orbital sanders, all are used with a Festool vacuum.

I love the Festool ROS' but I find the Rotex is usually too bukly and heavy for most of my projects so I don't use it as much. Maybe the 5" would have been a better choice. I tend to choose the 6" ROS first if the project is big enough and then the 5" ROS.

The only downside to having 5" and 6" sanders is the cost of Festool paper. You essentially double your sanding supplies costs. But if I had to do it over I still would buy both ROS' again, but I probably would pass on the 6" Rotex.

-- Phil

I bought the 5" Rotex over the 6" strictly based on how it felt in my hand - the 6" was just too bulky. I would strongly suggest getting one of each in your grip before plunking down the $$.

-Norm

I have the 150/3 and find it does almost everything I need. Someday I'd like to get the one with the iron-shaped pad (can't remember the number though.) That said, I mostly build furniture. The Rotex I tried was a lot more agressive than my sander--my impression was that it wasn't really a finish sander and you might find that to be a problem on small stuff.

Thanks guys for all the help. My wife and I went down to Woodcraft yesterday afternoon and did side by side comparisons of Festool's 5" vs. 6" sanders - both ROS and Rotex. That 6" Rotex is indeed of significant size. After using a 5" ROS for a good while, even the 150/3 seemed quite large to me - at least considering my style of woodworking. In the end, we walked out of the store with both the 5" ROS and the 5" Rotex.

Thanks again for the input.
    Regards,

Glen