Thread: Garage Heater Closeout Sale

Garage Heater Closeout Sale

I just wanted to let anyone in the vicinity of a Menards store know that they have on clearance their ventless garage heaters. I just picked up a 30,000 BTU ventless heater for $109, regularly $250 full price. They had both Natural or propane.

I picked it up & installed yesterday and have my 2 stall garage/shop heated to 65 degrees in 2 hours from the chilling 20 something it was before. Plus it was in the single digits for an outdoor tempature. It was good fit for my garage since it is insulated and has an insulated garage door. Sure beats the heck out of the portable propane heater I have been using.

If I could only get my wife to let me out to play so I could build some stuff. I just upgraded my old Craftsman contractor TS to the Grizzly 1023SL and picked up my first planer a Dewalt 735. Unfortunately they haven't gotten much use in the past few weeks. To many indoor projects to finish first I guess. Watching my daughter today, but I'll sneak out to the garage for few hours today while she takes a nap and tinker around.

Lowes is probably doing the same. We bought our unvented gas fireplace at a similar discount at Lowes a few years ago and my mom did the same 2 years ago. They try to get that stuff out of there as fast as possible at the end of the season.

What is the deal with Ventless fireplaces.... since they are sold they are safe, but for how long.... how long can you run one without getting a build of CO or water vapor?

Joe

I have a ventless gas heater in my shop since 1992. Don't see any problems, I clean it a couple times a year and check the shut off. I also shut it off when finishing. Only rust I have seen is on a couple of Japaness saw blades that I seldem use. I keep the temp at 60d.

Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    since they are sold they are safe
    Like Corvairs and Vioxx?

Our house is about 15 years old and pretty tight. We only use our fireplace occasionally and you do notice the moisture, mostly on the nearby sliding door. However, it quickly evaporates into the dry winter air. My parents house is over 200 years old and not quite as tight. They run theirs continuously fall to spring. They lower the thermostats on the other side of the house and keep their family room a little warmer with just the fireplace. Neither of us have had of our CO detectors have ever gone off so the CO levels are staying low enough to at least prevent that.

Acording to the Gary Sullivan Show they can give off up to a gallon of water an hour. I have one in the basement as it is a heatsource that will work if we lose power. The thermostat switch on the fan doesn't work so I just turn it on when I turn on the heater. It also helps keep the floors warmer when it is in the single digits.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Home Depot in my area has had some great deals as well.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    What is the deal with Ventless fireplaces.... since they are sold they are safe, but for how long.... how long can you run one without getting a build of CO or water vapor?

Joe
    I've had one in my garage/shop for two winters now and it works great. They actually have built-in CO protection.

As far a water production, an overhead garage door leaks quite a bit of ouside air in even when its sealed well. I think this dry air compenstaes for the moisture produced by the heater because I don't have problems with high humidity at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Myers
    I just wanted to let anyone in the vicinity of a Menards store know that they have on clearance their ventless garage heaters. I just picked up a 30,000 BTU ventless heater for $109, regularly $250 full price. They had both Natural or propane.

I picked it up & installed yesterday and have my 2 stall garage/shop heated to 65 degrees in 2 hours from the chilling 20 something it was before. Plus it was in the single digits for an outdoor tempature. It was good fit for my garage since it is insulated and has an insulated garage door. Sure beats the heck out of the portable propane heater I have been using.

If I could only get my wife to let me out to play so I could build some stuff. I just upgraded my old Craftsman contractor TS to the Grizzly 1023SL and picked up my first planer a Dewalt 735. Unfortunately they haven't gotten much use in the past few weeks. To many indoor projects to finish first I guess. Watching my daughter today, but I'll sneak out to the garage for few hours today while she takes a nap and tinker around.
    Ryan,
    A new Menards just opened up in my area, I went to see if they had the heaters. They did not but I could order one so I did. Thanks for the heads up on the sale. I am going to use mine on natural gas so I don't think there is a moisture problem. While I was at Menards I looked around and found T8 fixtures on sale. The 4 bulb 8 footer lists for around $44 it was on sale for $33 and change. I found a bunch of things that the other borgs don't carry. Found a lot of Kreg items.
    Thanks to you Ryan I saved a lot of money but I walked out ot the store with over $400 less than I went in with.
    David B