Thread: Oval Mirror - HELP!!

Question Oval Mirror - HELP!!

My sister asked me many years ago to make a freestanding oval mirror for her, I started on this project about 12 years ago. but was interupted by health problems. I have recently started back working in my shop so I'll have a go at it again. Since the mirror will be full length, the oval will be quite large. I am concerned about wood grain direction, accurate layout, support stand, etc., ANY SUGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Ralph Snodgrass; 02-17-2007 at 4:21 PM.

As Elmer Fudd would say: Be vewy vewy kwiet...

Sowwy, I couldn't wesist.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Do a google search for pictures and you will find many hits.
    John T.

Norm Made One

And I made one from his plans. True his was not oval. His top was arched and the bottom square, but the techniques he used for the top were appropriate for an oval. If you would like, I'll loan you the drawing. Just send it back when you're through. In fact I'll lend you the video, too if you wish. Same deal - send it back.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Carl
    Can you E-mail me the plans, or is there a better way? If you have a photo of the mirror, I'd like to see it. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Snodgrass
    My sister asked me many years ago to make a freestanding oval mirror for her, I started on this project about 12 years ago. but was interupted by health problems. I have recently started back working in my shop so I'll have a go at it again. Since the mirror will be full length, the oval will be quite large. I am concerned about wood grain direction, accurate layout, support stand, etc., ANY SUGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph,

Maybe I can help! I restored my grandparents, turn-of-the Century, Oval Mirror Dresser.

The mirror frame construction consists of four sections. The frame sections are joined with a 1/4" x 1-1/2" spines. And the mirror is beveled; really adds a lot of character!

You can see more pictures on Woodworking Galleries.
    http://www.woodworking-galleries.org...o=4363&cat=595

Good luck on the project, and I hope this information will be helpful!

-Don

Thanks for the pic and the info. I read somewhere that if the frame is made by glueing two panels turned at 90 degrees to each other you could overcome the problem of grain orintation in the narrow frame. The bottom layer can be made from any scrap of the same type wood.

I'm not sure if I expressed this very well. Would it work?

Hi,

I've built oval and round mirror out of solid stock. You can see one here:
    http://www.hardwareattic.ca/en/Galle...olio_2212.html

For the oval, I built an hexagone using splines to reinforce the joints. Then I used an ellipse drawing jig (homemade) and attached my router to rout out a perfect ellipse. The jig was modeled from an ellipse drawing tool I purchased at an art store. As for a round mirror, I built a octagone and used a circle cutting jig, again with my router. One radius for the outer edge and a smaller radius for the inner edge.
    Luc

Honey where did I put.....never mind I found it!