Thread: Miter box help

Miter box help

Folks I've done searches on several woodworking forums, and on Google without much luck.
    I need help and advice.
    I have a Stanley Miter box and saw which I believe to be a model 59 1/2.
    What do I have? Is it worth re-furbishing?
    Is there a good site about Stanley Miter Boxes?

Thanks.

I looked in Walter's book, and I couldn't find a 59-1/2 miter box. There was a 50-1/2, and a 60-1/2, but no 59-1/2. Are you sure that's the number? Can you post a picture of it?
    If it is either of the above, they were some of Stanley's lower-end miter boxes. They still work well for smaller moldings. I have a no. 60 I carry with me when I don't want to drag along the power miter saw.
    If you need a miter box for occasional use, and for moldings smaller than about 5", then it would probably be worth cleaning up and using it.
    Hope this helps.
    Rick

Nope I'm not sure of the number. Most of my tools are in storage, waiting for the day that I can get back on with life instead of just trying to get caught back up, so I will have to try to dig it out to verify this.
    Sure might explain why I can't find any info for a 59 1/2 though. Thanks.

Rick, 50 1/2 it is!!!!

It's been a while since I've looked at it, doesn't look too bad overall, some rust but nothing horrible. The saw is interesting, it's about 20" long at the teeth, 11 PPI, still sharp, good wood and has Langdon stamped into the spine.

Rick, I saw another reference to Walter's book today and don't know what it is. Can you enlighten me? Is it still available? Thanks, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Langdon saw

I guess, then, that the saw was originally for a Langdon Acme miter box (later acquired by Millers Falls) - I don't know how good their saws are, but the miter boxes are considered among the best.

Tom,
    The book is "Antique and Collectible Stanley Tools, A Guide to Identity and Value", by John Walter. Published by The Tool Merchant ( John Walter's business), 1996. ISBN 1-878911-01-5.
    Unfortunately, it's out of print. In addition to being a price guide (now somewhat outdated) it has type studies of the various Stanley planes and other tools. There is no other book that has that combination, making it invaluable to collectors and tool buyers. Used copies are in great demand, often bringing around $200.00 on eBay.
    Ray,
    The 50-1/2 was made from 1909 to 1967. It was supplied without a saw, which explains why the saw you have has the name of a different miter box manufacturer on it. It should work just fine, as long as it is sharp.
    The capacity of the 50-1/2 is listed as 4 inches, a bit smaller than I said in my first post.
    Hope this helps.
    Rick

Thanks

All of it helps.
    One great thing about these forums is that when others write, it triggers something that you have been meaning to dig into, and conversely, it gives you a chance to air what you know (or think that you know) and learn even more as you go along. Thanks folks, as always I learn a lot.