Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 18" -20" bandsaw????

Which 18" -20" bandsaw????

I want to thank R. Heuer and Matthew Balarseh for answering my question on The Rikon Drill Press.
    Now I really need some input on Bandsaws. I am interested in getting an 18-20 inch. Can any of you help me?
    Here is what I am interested in:
    • Ease of changing blade for scrolling or resawing
    • plenty of power
    • resawing accuracy
    • fence size..(or) ability to upgrade to large resawing fence.
    • machine quality, tightness, tight tollerances.
    • of course, Price.
    Price: 800-1500
    Brands considering:
    • Rikon
    • Jet
    • Grizzly
    • bridgewood
    • higher priced ones (mm) etc for consideration. (probably out of reach pricewise)
    • I want a really good resawing unit.
    I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. I have found some info in the archives, but, maybe I've missed some.

Thanks for your help, Ron

I did a review on the 18" Rikon

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bible
    I want to thank R. Heuer and Matthew Balarseh for answering my question on The Rikon Drill Press.
    Now I really need some input on Bandsaws. I am interested in getting an 18-20 inch. Can any of you help me?
    Here is what I am interested in:
    • Ease of changing blade for scrolling or resawing
    • plenty of power
    • resawing accuracy
    • fence size..(or) ability to upgrade to large resawing fence.
    • machine quality, tightness, tight tollerances.
    • of course, Price.
    Price: 800-1500
    Brands considering:
    • Rikon
    • Jet
    • Grizzly
    • bridgewood
    • higher priced ones (mm) etc for consideration. (probably out of reach pricewise)
    I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. I have found some info in the archives, but, maybe I've missed some.

Should be on page 2 or three (misspelled the title Riknon).
    Ron
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bible

Hi Ron, I have the MM16 and like it.

Try these threads for a lot of info:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ndsaw+purchase

Hope that helps a bit,
    -Mike

Source?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Blaise
    Should be on page 2 or three (misspelled the title Riknon).
    Ron
    Would like to see your review, but page 2 or 3 of what, Ron?

I recently went through this process and decided on the Grizzly G0514X 18" band saw (for some reason they call it a 19" band saw but the max width of cut is 18 1/4"). Car troubles have kept me from spending the money, but, unless something great comes up on craigslist or the classifieds this it what I hope to get sometime this year.

Obviously I don't own one yet, so why in the world am I even bothering posting? Well, I thought I'd pass along my personal thought process...

Having decided to skip right over the venerable 14" band saw and get a "larger" band saw I wanted the most cutting width and quality I could get keeping to a budget right in line with yours. It seemed to rather quickly come down to the Grizzly, Rikon and Steel City (SC) 18" band saws. I can get the Rikon and Steel City locally so I've taken a look at each. The features for all three are pretty similar (quick release tension, window for tracking, bearing guides ...) A strong plus for the Steel City is a mechanical brake. The Grizzly and Rikon have rack and pinion blade tilt with the Grizzly trunion being case iron (don't recall if the Rikon is cast iron). The SC trunion is aluminum with a nice wide stance, but two bolts must be loosened to tilt the table. The Grizzly was the only one with a 3 Hp motor, the others are 2 Hp. Those are the main things I can recall off the top of my head. The scales tilted to the Grizzly based on the trunion and simple aesthetics, I just like the way it looks better. I also found (through this forum) an article/discussion about adding a blade brake to a band saw that seems eminently do-able.

Good luck!
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

I have the Jet 18 3hp saw w/power feeder. Works great, only use it for resawing with a 1" carbide tipprd blade. No drift no shortage of power thru 12" wood with the power feed. There is a photo of the saw on another thread, it's in the background. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51681

It's no Italian saw but works great for me.

Thanks Dennis

Dumb question here.

I read some of the things written here and say "that can't be". Then I read manufacturer's specs and have the same confusion, so it's time to ask what I don't understand.

I always understood the 18" to refer to the wheel diameter (rounded if the wheel is made to a metric size). Is that right, or does it refer to cutting capacity on the left side of the blade (for most saws)?

I also always thought that the cutting capacity would be a smidgen (where "smidgen is defined as ~1/2" ) less than the wheel diameter to allow for the blade guard on the frame side of the blade.

Both Jet and Rikon claim 18 3/8" cutting capacity with 18 3/8" wheels, while Steel City states a little differently--18" blade-to-frame distance with 18" wheels. Do these saws have removable guards on the frame side of the blade to get this capacity? Sounds like a way to make what I consider a very safe power tool pretty dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Yeilding
    Both Jet and Rikon claim 18 3/8" cutting capacity with 18 3/8" wheels, while Steel City states a little differently--18" blade-to-frame distance with 18" wheels. Do these saws have removable guards on the frame side of the blade to get this capacity? Sounds like a way to make what I consider a very safe power tool pretty dangerous!
    I suspect its just rounding. My Steel City saw is a bit under 18 1/4" from blade to frame, and the wheels are a bit over 18 1/2" at the crown. (Hard to measure accurately, axle nut is in the way.)

I have the 18" Rikon and am real happy with it. If you have specific questions, go ahead and ask.

Ease of changing blade for scrolling or resawing
    The blade slot in the front was a great idea. Very easy to change the blades. A little time consuming to use allen wrenches to readjust guides after blade change

plenty of power
    Yes, the cast iron wheels help too

resawing accuracy
    I don't resaw, don't know

fence size..(or) ability to upgrade to large resawing fence.
    The included fence really sucks. Some upgrade to a Kreg fence. If Steel City
    has a better fence, that might be worth paying the extra $$ for.. Or make your own.
    The Rikon fence is definitely not adequate for resawing as it flexes too easy.

machine quality, tightness, tight tollerances.
    All in all good. Fine for hobbyist.

of course, Price.
    Last edited by Paul Wingert; 02-21-2007 at 6:24 PM.

I do a bit of teaching at my local Woodcraft, and the 18" Rikon seems to be a solid saw. If you go with Rikon, however, be sure to get a recently assembled machine. They had a bad batch of motors on some saws that were made last summer. We had several motors burn out on us after only a few hours runtime.
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

Yes, the 18" refers to the wheel diameter which will give you just under 18" of cutting capacity to the left of the blade. The cutting capacity for resawing will vary from machine to machine but 12" to 16" seems to be the norm.

My suggestion would be to go with the Bridgewood PBS 440 (18" saw).

Brian

BTW, since these machines are made overseas, the 18" wheel diameter is actually a bit smaller. My MM16 is closer to 15 1/2" diameter.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    BTW, since these machines are made overseas, the 18" wheel diameter is actually a bit smaller.
    See my earlier post. The wheels on the Steel City 18" are actually a bit over 18.5" in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen
    See my earlier post. The wheels on the Steel City 18" are actually a bit over 18.5" in diameter.
    Sorry Chirs, i didn't read your post. It makes me wonder if Steel City is the exception or my MM is?

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Ron, I have the Rikon 18" and am very pleased with it. One exception was a start capacitor which failed almost immediately, but Rikon got me one in just a few days, and all has been fine since then.

For example, right out of the box I resawed a plank of tiger maple with the included 3/4 inch blade and it was a snap. The 2 HP motor didn't hesitate at all. I particularly like the table. Sturdy and easy to tilt. Of course, the tension release sure beats cranking down the blade tension, and the adjustments are all easy and well designed.