Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DMT Diamond Sharpening Bench Stones Recommendation Request

DMT Diamond Sharpening Bench Stones Recommendation Request

I am assembling my sharpening tools. I plan to get both the 4000 and 8000 Norton stones, and since I have read disappointing reviews of the Norton coarse stones, I will instead get a DMT duo diamond sharpening bench stone to both flatten my Norton stones and the backs of my chisels and plane blades. There may be times I'd like to sharpen a shaper and/or router bit as well. I will get the 10" size diamond stone. I use the Veritas MK II Honing system.

What Duo DMT diamond stone would you recommend? They come in double-sided grits of:

extra fine/fine,
    extra fine/coarse,
    fine/course, or
    coarse/extra course.

I have the x-course/course (220/325) that I use to flatten before moving to 1000, 4000, 8000 Nortons. Seems to work well. Would not want to use anything slower for initial flattenting, especially of hardened chisels and irons.

I also have the course/x-course, and would go with that again. I have the set of stones you are describing, as well, and it has worked out very well.

Jim in Idaho

I had just puchased the 1000, 4000, and 8000 grit Norton stones when I read an article in Woodworking Magazine by Chris Schwartz. He talked about people sharpening more than needed and recommended the DMT course/x-course, Norton 1000 & 8000. General sharpening is done with the 1000 and then the 8000 grit stone, and other work, including stone flattening is done with the DMT. I bought a DMT and gave it a try. I'm sending my 4000 grit stone back. I have seen no need for the intermediate grit stone.

There are so many opinions and ways of sharpening that you'll rarely find people who agree. I think the set up Chris describes work well, and that is what I plan to use for the forseeable future. My $.02 worth.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Woods
    I had just puchased the 1000, 4000, and 8000 grit Norton stones when I read an article in Woodworking Magazine by Chris Schwartz. He talked about people sharpening more than needed and recommended the DMT course/x-course, Norton 1000 & 8000. General sharpening is done with the 1000 and then the 8000 grit stone, and other work, including stone flattening is done with the DMT. I bought a DMT and gave it a try. I'm sending my 4000 grit stone back. I have seen no need for the intermediate grit stone.

There are so many opinions and ways of sharpening that you'll rarely find people who agree. I think the set up Chris describes work well, and that is what I plan to use for the forseeable future. My $.02 worth.

Brad
    Good feedback Brad. It got me thinking.

I just went back to Ian Kirby's book Sharpening With Waterstones. He suggests a coarse stone [alternatively, I will use the coarse/extra coarse diamond stone], a medium stone of 4000 grit, and a fine 8000 grit stone. He says:

"If you choose a 1200-grit stone for sharpening, you'll cut the metal quite quickly, but you'll also leave relatively large scratches. This means correspondingly more time on the fine stone. On the other hand, if you use 4000-grit as your sharpening stone, you'll cut the blunted bevel back more slowly, but you will leave finer grooves on the metal, and spend less time polishing on the fine stone. Since the fine stone is both more expensive and more liable to be gouged, the less time you spend on it the longer it will last. And since the total time is the same either way, on balance you're better off with a 4000-grit sharpening stone [positioned between your coarse and fine stones]."

- Coyright 1998 Ian Kirby, Sharpening With Waterstones, Linden Publishing, ISBN 0-941936-76-7

As you said, expect as many different opinions as the number of people you ask. I still think I will try the diamond coarse/extra coarse, 4000, and 8000 stones. But then, what do I know?!

I also read Chris's piece in Woodworking and as a novice it really helped simplify things for me. I'll probably get a DMT coarse/extra coarse stone--though they are a bit pricey ($95 on Amazon).

One of Chris's points, and this gets to the issue that Jeff's quote of Kirby addresses, is that you only need to use the 8000 stone when you initially flatten the face, and then only on the secondary bevel (he uses the coarse for the primary bevel). And for the secondary bevel, you only need a few passes since the amount of metal being polished is so small. So you end up not wearing out the fine stone as much. This is also the approach that Charlesworth advocates (which is where Chris learned it).

Brad or Rob . . .

Do you recall which issue of Woodworking Magazine that article of Chris' was in? Thanks.

Warning!!

Be careful to consider future purchases when you choose the Duostone you buy now. I bought the 10" Coarse/fine, only to find out later that they do not make an X-coarse/X-fine combination. You can really paint yourself into a corner. I called DMT and they said they can't make the xtra/xtra combo because there is too much difference between the two. If you are going to finish with waterstones, as I think you should, you might as well stay coarse with your DMTs. You'll find there is not much difference between the grits anyway. They are all coarse. I am, however, interested in the the new Extra Extra Fine stone DMT is coming out with. They claim its comparable to an 8000 grit waterstone.

I have the 1,000 , 4,000 and 8,000 Norton stones, and I got the DMT X-coarse and Coarse 10" x 4" stone for flattening the Norton stones. DMT recommend this X-Coarse diamond stone for flattening waterstones.

I forget what Norton stone it is, but one of them came with the edges sharp, the other two had the edges chamfered already. It was recommended by Rob Cosman of LN to chamfer these edges slightly, like the others, so that you avoid chipping them. I used the diamond stone to do this.

I also have the Fine, X-Fine stone for router bits and such. I see that they are producind a XX-Coarse diamond stone now. I didn't know about the XX-Fine one though, so I will have to check it out. Thanks for the info Caleb.
    Last edited by Eddie Darby; 02-19-2007 at 7:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright
    Brad or Rob . . .

Do you recall which issue of Woodworking Magazine that article of Chris' was in? Thanks.
    Autumn '04--I think their second issue. I really like that mag.
    Rob

I'll play the contrarian here and advise against the DMT stones for this purpose. I abandoned them long ago and here's why:

The purchase of a diamond stone for the sole purpose of flattening waterstones seems like expensive overkill. Besides that, diamond stones are notoriously un-flat, so they aren't necessarily suited for the job.

Invest in a $30.00 granite block and some sandpaper instead. The result is far superior, in my opinion and you can use the granite block for other sharpening as well. The all-important 8000 waterstone needs a smoother flat finish than that left by the x-course diamond stone. I use 400 grit wet sandpaper.

I believe that a DMT diamond stone will eventually be ruined in the process of flattening another abrasive stone of any kind. Many posters have reported this problem, and I have experienced it also.

Just one opinion, of course.

Cheap and works

I flatten my coarse waterstone on my concrete driveway. This works beautifully. Then I use that stone to flatten the 1000...the 1000 to flatten the 4000 then the 4000 to flatten the 8000.

The 4000 and 8000 don't need much work if my previous set up was good. The 8000 polishes the steel in just a few strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady
    I'll play the contrarian here and advise against the DMT stones for this purpose. I abandoned them long ago and here's why:

The purchase of a diamond stone for the sole purpose of flattening waterstones seems like expensive overkill. Besides that, diamond stones are notoriously un-flat, so they aren't necessarily suited for the job.

Invest in a $30.00 granite block and some sandpaper instead. The result is far superior, in my opinion and you can use the granite block for other sharpening as well. The all-important 8000 waterstone needs a smoother flat finish than that left by the x-course diamond stone. I use 400 grit wet sandpaper.

I believe that a DMT diamond stone will eventually be ruined in the process of flattening another abrasive stone of any kind. Many posters have reported this problem, and I have experienced it also.

Just one opinion, of course.
    Mike,
    In the Schwarz article referred to above, the DMT stone is not used solely for truing the other stones. He recommends using it for the initial flattening of the face (x-coarse diamond, f/b coarse diamond, then 1000 waterstone, and finally either 6000 or 8000 waterstones), and for the primary bevel (coarse DMT). Then hone the secondary bevel on the fine stone.

What happens to the DMT in the course of flattening the other stones? Does it just wear out or change its shape? Just curious, since I'm thinking of getting one.
    Rob

I've used my DMT stone for flattening my water stones for quite a while and the diamond stone is still good - that is, I can use it for flattening the back of a chisel or plane blade and it works well.

I understand that the DMT will eventually wear out - like any tool - but it does the job that I bought it for and does it well. When it finally wears out, I'll buy another one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Wink

If you look at the literature that accompanies DMT diamond hones, you will see that the diamond particles are bonded to the metal matrix with nickel. The colored dots are just a plastic bed. Nickel is going to surrender to the abrasive particles (of any size or grit) that are presented by a rubbing on a waterstone. Eventually, the nickel loses its grip on the diamonds and off they go down your drain. My point is why not have this process happen with an $1 sheet of sandpaper rather than your $90 diamond stone. Believe me, the likes of Chris Schwartz and David Charlesworth have my utmost respect for their expertise. I just don't quite get the economics of this recommendation. I'll tell you that my diamonds stones are pretty much shot after using them for things other than their intended purpose and are not being replaced.

Another theory that I don't buy is that you can flatten two waterstones by rubbing them together. It is a great way to arrive at a two perfectly mated parabolic surfaces.

Its quite simple really. If you want to flatten something like a waterstone, it needs to be rubbed on another perfectly flat and unyielding surface, with some form of abrasive in between. Granite reference blocks have become very affordable and readily available, and fill the bill. Not too portable, though.

Please correct me if I am overlooking something, and as always mine is just one opinion.
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 02-22-2007 at 8:42 PM.