Thread: Beall Buffing Problems

Beall Buffing Problems

I have been using the Beall buffing system on a few bowls lately and have run into a problem. When I reach the last stage (i.e. using the carnuba wax) I started to feel small patches of roughness on the bowl. Looking at these spots more closely they appear to be made up of one or more of the previous grits (i.e. the red or the white) I suspect I overloaded the buffing wheel for one or both of these treatments as the spots look like surface accumulation of these materials. One of my questions is how often one has to reload these wheels (e.g. after 4 or more bowls, more or less) and the second question is how do you get rid of the built up patches of material (restart with the red and repeat the process or use some solvent to clean everything and start over)?
    Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Don Emmerling in Johnstown, Ohio

Don,
    I am just learning the Beall system myself. I had similar trouble and found it to be too much wax on the Carnuba wheel. Load the third wheel very sparingly.
    Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

If the only thing that's happening is too much wax residue left on the surface of your bowl, simply wipe it down a couple times with naphtha and buff it again. The naphtha should clean the residue off the surface. You can use mineral spirits just as easily but naphtha evaporates more quickly.

You don't have to load the wheels excessively. Just a touch. If your wheels are too loaded, use a block with a point at the end to remove excess compound from the wheel.

Also, be sure you're allowing the finish to cure before buffing. Premature buffing can definitely create problems.

Don, fairly new with the Beall system also and have had the same problems every once in a while. Found that the wax wheel was to loaded. Used some sandpaper to clean it up and the problem was solved.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Well, try a wipe with mineral spirits and see if it's the wax. If so, use a curry comb like they do for horses to clean up the wheel. If not, you may be pressing too much and softening the finish. When stuff gets embedded, it's a do over.

Blog Entries
    I just bought a beal system last week. The instructions said to use a light touch with the white diamond and the carnuba wax. I've had pretty good luck so far. I would like to get a little better shine though. Have any of you done a clear coat and used the beal to shine it up?