Thread: Anyone in the Jewelery Business?

Anyone in the Jewelery Business?

I recently inherited a ring from my Dad. It originally belonged to his father, so it's an heirloom, and was always intended to be. It has a 1.5 ct. (approx.) diamond in it, but unfortunately, it's a Masonic ring. (32nd level, Scottish Rite) I have no intention on ever becoming a Mason, so I am thinking about doing something else with the diamond.

I've been searching on the 'net for ideas, but am not having much luck. My dilemma is that the stone is so big that I'm finding it difficult to locate a setting that will work. I suppose I could go the custom route, but I imagine that'll be rather expensive. The jeweler I took the ring to said the setting doesn't have any real value, but he seemed hesitant when I asked about modifying it, or melting it down and using the gold to make a custom ring. So, I'm wondering if there's a market for such things. I haven't found one anywhere that looks like this one.

So, if any of you are in the jewelery business, and can help me out here, please send me a PM and let me know. I have some photos that I can send via e-mail, if that'll help.

Thanks!
    Sam/Atlanta

I recently had a gold crown replaced, and the dentist asked me to donate it to charity. He takes the old gold every year to a place that melts it down and ends up making a lot of money for the charity, so there must be a market for it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe, as I understand it, there's always a market for "scrap" gold. That's all the jeweler offered me. It's a pretty heavy ring, but the scrap value only came out to about $78.
    Sam/Atlanta