Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frued Glue Line Ripping Blade - $23.99 at Amazon

Blog Entries

Frued Glue Line Ripping Blade - $23.99 at Amazon

Just to let you know, the Frued 30-T Glue Line Ripping blade is on sale at Amazon.com for $29.99 + the 20% discount, which brings the cost down to $23.99.

Here's the link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LM74M010...7?ie=UTF8&s=hi

It's not the Perma Shield coated blade, but still one heck of a deal. This is the cheapest I've ever seen this blade and picked one up for myself.

Where is the 20% discount?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner
    Sorry.

Save 20% each on 10" & 12" blades, dados & router bits offered by Amazon.com when you purchase 1 or more. Enter code 2OOFFPTA at checkout

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner
    It showed up automatically when I went to checkout. No need to enter a code.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-21-2007 at 10:19 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Malyszko
    Just to let you know, the Frued 30-T Glue Line Ripping blade
    OK, stupid question here. Other then what its name implies, what is a glue line ripping blade and why do I want one?

My question is if the price falls below 25.00 because of the discount, does it still qualify for free shipping? I'm not in the market for one, but this question could come into play on other items I might want to order in the future. Anyone know? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

It is supposed to give a glue ready finish after you rip it. No need to run it through a jointer. Alot of quality blades will usually give the same results. IMHSHO

Gary K.

Will this blade create a flat bottom if used for a non-through cut?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Woohoo! thanks for the update. I missed the price drop a couple of weeks ago.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    My question is if the price falls below 25.00 because of the discount, does it still qualify for free shipping? I'm not in the market for one, but this question could come into play on other items I might want to order in the future. Anyone know? Jim.
    Yes, the shipping is still free. I ordered a 2-blade Dewalt combo yesterday and with the discount it was $23 and some change. Shipping was still free even though the total cost was under $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell
    It is supposed to give a glue ready finish after you rip it. No need to run it through a jointer. Alot of quality blades will usually give the same results. IMHSHO

Gary K.
    Thanks for the reply. I always thought the reason a jointer was needed was because the precision machined table was guaranteed to produce a perfectly flat finish at exactly 90 degrees to the side. A saw blade that can do the same thing? I am just a beginner here but the physics escapes me. How does this blade compensate for rotational imperfections that an ordinary blade can't? Can I take a jointer off my wish list?

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard
    Will this blade create a flat bottom if used for a non-through cut?
    Almost, not quite.

To get a flat bottom, you need a blade with flat teeth. The blade in question has triple-chip teeth. The sides of the groove will be just slightly deeper than the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Putnam
    Can I take a jointer off my wish list?
    No. I've got this blade and it does a great job but it is not meant to replace a jointer. If you have milled a board to S3S and you need to cut it to width then glue it up, you can sometimes simply rip it to width with this blade and then glue it up. With most blades taking a light pass over the jointer after ripping would be mandatory.

"A saw blade that can do the same thing? I am just a beginner here but the physics escapes me."

A jointer by nature makes a curved cut because of its blade trajectory, whereas a TS blade tooth moves in a plane, so if the blade/arbor has no runout it should be a flatter cut.

I was told recently in another thread that an edge sander was used after the jointer, which squares with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Katz
    A jointer by nature makes a curved cut because of its blade trajectory, whereas a TS blade tooth moves in a plane, so if the blade/arbor has no runout it should be a flatter cut.

I was told recently in another thread that an edge sander was used after the jointer, which squares with that.
    OK but the key is what happens when you butt 2 pieces together for glueing. The jointer, as I understand it, makes all pieces precisely straight and at 90 degrees so that the seam is nearly invisible (the center relief also helps). What I am missing is how a blade can do this since there is all kinds of small errors in the blade's plane of rotation due to bearing wear, runout, etc. That makes for a wavy edge and 2 pieces will never match up identically as with a jointer. So what is special about this blade that can compensate for that where an ordinary blade cannot?