Thread: Best Small Corded drill w/ keyless chuck

1. Best Small Corded drill w/ keyless chuck

About a decade ago Ryobi was selling a very small corded drill with a keyless chuck and I beleive 2 speeds (mighta been variable). A friend had one and I never bought my own. It was the sweetest little corded drill. Great ergonomics, small, light, good enough for typical pilot holes and driving your average screw.

Seems like drills like this are hard to come by after the cordless drill came into use. Corded drills still have their place in the shop. I love the new Bosch Li-Ion drivers, but they are not drills. This Ryobi was on the same scale as the pistol grip Bosch.

So, does anyone have any ideas? All I can seem to find at the stores and online are your typical offerings. Nothing small and handy.

Hadn't really thought about the absence of small corded drills until you brought it up. This seems like a case of supply reflecting demand. Lots of options for bigger ones, but some decent battery powered ones have gotten so inexpensive, a small corded one would have to sell for practically nothing to move off the shelves. My guess is no tool manufacturer wants to design a tool with so little profit potential.

Blog Entries
    Picked up a DeWalt 106 at the BORG for about $30. Not as small as the Bosch you mention but not large and well balanced. I use it almost exclusively for pocket holes.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Have you thought about a pneumatic drill? Very compact, but they do suck air.

If that's not an option, take a look at a close-quarters drill like the Milwaukee 0375. The ergonomics are good and they fit into tight spaces. The only thing is, they're not light, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...