Thread: cordless tools and big box stores?

cordless tools and big box stores?

A few guys at my work think that if you buy a cordless tool from a big box store that you get a lower quality of tool? they think if you buy it from a tool store and pay a bit more you get a better tool.(is this true?)

one of the guys say that the tool company makes a cheaper tool for big box stores with cheapper parts so they can sell them cheaper

what are your experience's with this matter?
    I think its bs but then again im not sure

I have bought yellow cordless tools from borg, ebay and Amazon, as well as right from the Dewalt store and repair shop. I see no difference in any of them. I think the company puts their name on them and they are the same. Most companies bid on generic tools and may change the quality but they won't have the same name. In other words, I agree you heard BS, IMHO
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

I bought a dewalt 18 volt cordless set 5 years ago from H.D.
    It came with skill saw, reciprocating saw, drill , flashlight and radio
    and everything still works perfectly .Never had any problems.

The only thing i hate is when they drop the price by $ 300.00 every once in a while after the fact.

Hi Roddy,

Check the model numbers! If they are the same it is the same tool. On dewalt stuff that I watch they will some times have a "special" on a 3 or four piece 18v kit and use the compact drill instead of the 3 speed hammer drill and have the smaller trim circular saw rather than the 6 1/2 saw. If you pay attention to the details you can get the better tools at the box stores at a much lower price than the "tool store" prices.

Just like everything you have to know what you are buying.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy Thibault
    A few guys at my work think that if you buy a cordless tool from a big box store that you get a lower quality of tool? they think if you buy it from a tool store and pay a bit more you get a better tool.(is this true?)

one of the guys say that the tool company makes a cheaper tool for big box stores with cheapper parts so they can sell them cheaper

what are your experience's with this matter?
    I think its bs but then again im not sure
    Roddy-

i've had a hitachi 18v driver/drill that i bought at lowes about a year ago and its showing no signs of motor wear, plus its got replaceable brushes anyway. i can still install a whole mess (~60) of shelving brackets, 3-5 vanity cabinets, and some other screwing around on a single charge.

my only complaint with it is that it's priced about $30 cheaper than it was when i bought it for $230.. (and it was kind of a hit to pay for it, but i'd used one that belonged to someone else and i really liked the way it felt in my hand- i had no clue how much it was)

it's my understanding that the important thing to consider when buying tools and equipment is the tool itself and how suitable is it for its intended use. Price is secondary, as quality tools will usually pay for themselves in the long run.
    Place of purchase is a complete non issue- since you can find good tools in a pawn shop, a flea market, a big box store, or online..

just do some research and try to avoid the bells and whistles they throw at you.

i got a feeling that "one of the guys" may have been suckered in by a price scam and is a little salty about it..

my old framing boss used to be that way, hed always bring these POS tools out to the job - talking about how he got an awesome deal on some below homeowner grade tool, only to have the thing bust out on him after trying to use it for repeated and heavy professional application. The next few days were usually filled with badmouthing the store, the brand, or some combination of both. needless to say, i was given an opportunity to learn from someone elses mistakes..

caveat emptor

-dan

I have heard that the units sold at big box stores are either lower quality or "seconds." Speaking from my own experiences... I am an electrician by day so I have the pleasure giving cordless tools the "torture test." Over the years I have found that tools typically purchased from specialized tool dealers typically hold up a lot better, not always though. But I run up to 4-1/2" holesaws and large auger bits with my cordless which is extremely hard on them anyway. I've had the best luck with Milwaukee cordless tools. I just recently upgraded all my cordless tools to Milwaukees' 28V Lithium Ion set and so far I love them, but we'll see how they stand the test of time. And I got my 4-piece kit for $100 less than it could be purchased through any of the big stores.

What your friends told you used to be more

true than it is now. The big box stores would give a manufacturer a price point. The manufacturer wuld meet the price point and slightly alter the model number (say from 310 to 310x). At least two tool companies ruined their reputation following this path (no names, lawyers present). How do I know? I have known two tool designers and one big box purchasing agent. Charles McKinley is correct: watch the model number and motor specs.

well i did it

so today i stopped at the local hd and the guys there help me out.
    i endded up with the Makita's BDF452HW and 18V, 2 Piece, LTX Combo Kit
    one of the hd guys said that i could return my ridgid drill and impact if i return it to him( the drill i think is past 90 days but with service like that i cant help my self)
    I have 30 days to return these tools .......
    i look up the model's numbers and they are the same as the local tool store but hd is $120 cheaper

well im going to test the hell out of them
    its kinda like a gloat .....hehe
    thanks for your input

I too have seen this firsthand with a big name or two. They still buy this way, but the model number switch isn't very common anymore.