Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Tractor Project

Another Tractor Project

I finally finished another tractor project. My rotary cutter didn't fit my John Deere i-Match quick hitch so I re-engineered the linkage to make it work, and it seems to work quite well. I also cleaned up and repainted. Originally it was yellow, but I decided to paint it green to match the tractor. I even ended up with all new decals, for free, from the manufacturer. I had contacted them regarding replacement safety decals and 3 days later had a complete set of new decals.

Only one more tractor project left on my list: straightening and beefing up the draw bar on my lawn roller which got bent up the first season because it was a little under-engineered.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 02-23-2007 at 11:07 PM.

Matt,
    Did you post on the wrong board? I don't see much tractor information on the SMC site. I haven't been on TBN tonight so I don't know if you posted there.
    Sure does look pretty. I have an unknown brand brush cutter that has a faded red color that I am thinking of painting JD green to match my 2010.
    Looks like your snow is melting some. Ours has melted a little but not as much as yours. I think we are in for it again this Sunday.
    David B

Nice job, Matt. Look's brand new and it painted up beautifully.

David...don't bust his stones about posting here at SMC! There are many of us who are tractor fans. Our color choices may be different and varied, but they are still part of our beloved power tool collections! (Even Keith is on board for tractor-mania)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Nice job, Matt. Look's brand new and it painted up beautifully.

David...don't bust his stones about posting here at SMC! There are many of us who are tractor fans. Our color choices may be different and varied, but they are still part of our beloved power tool collections! (Even Keith is on board for tractor-mania)
    Jim,
    I lived on the TBN site until I discovered SMC. Now it is 60% SMC and 40% TBN. I go where I get the greatest education. I have seen Matt's posts on TBN frequently and have learned quite a lot from him posting his experiences. Us tractor guys need to pick up stones on occasion. Tee Hee. When it comes to tractors and farm equipment I am color blind but I haven't reached that point yet with woodworking gear. You are doing a great job educating us "wanna bees"
    I think both boards are great.
    David B

Matt,

Nice job on the cutter, the paint looks better than a factory job. We haven't heard much from you since you got the plasma cutter, how is that working out for you?

David,

There are a few of us here at The Creek who share an interest in Tractors along with woodworking and a bit of metal working as well.

I have added another tractor project, a pulverizer, providing I can find a deal on a 12" I beam. I have a couple more pieces of steel to acquire before I can start fabricating a lifting boom. Looking for a small plow right now since gardening season is just around the bend. We haven't had a garden here in a long time but this year we will probably make up for lost time

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Matt,

Nice job on the cutter, the paint looks better than a factory job. We haven't heard much from you since you got the plasma cutter, how is that working out for you?

David,

There are a few of us here at The Creek who share an interest in Tractors along with woodworking and a bit of metal working as well.

I have added another tractor project, a pulverizer, providing I can find a deal on a 12" I beam. I have a couple more pieces of steel to acquire before I can start fabricating a lifting boom. Looking for a small plow right now since gardening season is just around the bend. We haven't had a garden here in a long time but this year we will probably make up for lost time

Keith,
    I have so many hobbies that I find myself running round in circles trying to keep up with any one of them.
    Metal working is another favorite of mine. I keep a plasma cutter justification floating in my mind but so far I haven't been able to. I have a small metal shop with a Hobart MIG unit and a couple AC stick welders along with a tool room mill and a heavy 10 South Bend lathe. Also thinking about a heavy duty metal cutting band saw. I don't do any real accurate work, just cut things until they fit. I need a lot of practice on my welding, I don't do it often enough to get good at it so things tend to look pretty bad and break frequently due to poor welds. Nice to know there are more like us out here.
    David B

Kieth, I really like having the plasma cutter. I used it to cut some brackets for the cutter which would have been a pain with another method. I can usually clean up the cut edges on 3/8" thick plate with a few seconds of work with my angle grinder.

Blog Entries
    Matt,

Looking GOOD... Great paint job. I happen to be an ORANGE guy.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I like green, but my next tractor may be a Farmall or Allis Chalmers. I'm looking to get something to restore and the John Deere's tend to be more expensive.

My Kubota IS a woodworking TOOL! In the past 2 months it was used to unload My new Unisaw,Grizzly Bandsaw and Shop Fox 8" jointer. It even gets parked in my shop alongside my other woodworking tools!

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker
    Keith,
    I have so many hobbies that I find myself running round in circles trying to keep up with any one of them.
    Metal working is another favorite of mine. I keep a plasma cutter justification floating in my mind but so far I haven't been able to. I have a small metal shop with a Hobart MIG unit and a couple AC stick welders along with a tool room mill and a heavy 10 South Bend lathe. Also thinking about a heavy duty metal cutting band saw. I don't do any real accurate work, just cut things until they fit. I need a lot of practice on my welding, I don't do it often enough to get good at it so things tend to look pretty bad and break frequently due to poor welds. Nice to know there are more like us out here.
    David B
    David,

It sounds like your situation is comparable to mine. I own a small Hobart mig welder and a very old Miller AC stick welder. I also own a SB9 metal lathe, a Grizzly Mill/Drill and a small metal cutting band saw that has been invaluable over the years. I also would like to purchase a plasma cutter but just haven't been able to justify the purchase...yet

I need more shop space which is the single most important reason I have just about stopped purchasing tools. I have a six acre yard, plenty of room for tractors

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    David,

It sounds like your situation is comparable to mine. I own a small Hobart mig welder and a very old Miller AC stick welder. I also own a SB9 metal lathe, a Grizzly Mill/Drill and a small metal cutting band saw that has been invaluable over the years. I also would like to purchase a plasma cutter but just haven't been able to justify the purchase...yet

I need more shop space which is the single most important reason I have just about stopped purchasing tools. I have a six acre yard, plenty of room for tractors

Keith,
    Space is not my problem, in fact too much space filled with too much stuff is my problem. I am always into some project that stops me from arranging the stuff that I have. I had to jack up my smaller barn and replace the rotted sill with pressure treated lumber. The guy that owned the place prior to me had a stream running through the building every time it rained or when the snow melted. I also have a 30x40x10 pole barn that I am in the process of wiring and adding OSB to the walls. Just finished a kitchen remodel that took 6 months, of course everything was put on hold while that was done.
    I use a chop saw to cut most of my metal. It is not very accurate but saves hacksaw blisters. I really love my mill and lathe, don't know what I would do with out them. I keep looking at getting a metal cutting band saw. I can justify the expense, just haven't had the immediate need. I buy a lot of steel at garage sales. I have been amazed at some of my purchases, keep hoping that I will find a band saw at one.
    A bathroom remodel is coming up this Spring so everything else will go on hold again. I am 63 years young and am wondering if there are enough years left to complete half of what I want to do.
    I keep trying to control the urge to buy high end woodworking tools like some of the folks on SMC. I tell myself that I do not do any real critical woodworking that would require the accuracy of the high end tools. So far I have maintained the control. May have to start going the 12 step meetings.
    David B

Nice Job David. I'm in the process of rebuilding my JD318. Basically just cleaning up 30 years of grime and new valve guides, seals and gaskets. Can't wait to get it back together so my "shop" can make sawdust.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cybulski
    Nice Job David. I'm in the process of rebuilding my JD318. Basically just cleaning up 30 years of grime and new valve guides, seals and gaskets. Can't wait to get it back together so my "shop" can make sawdust.

Jeff
    Jeff,
    I have a replacement engine for my JD 2010 sitting on the pole barn floor right next to the tractor. It came out of a JD combine but will fit my JD with some engine part transfers. The 2010 runs okay but not sure for how long and the combine engine has around 1000 hours on it if that.
    I have a small barn that is my sawdust shop and I am in the process of getting it ready for a rewire and insulation. Thinking about putting passive solar on the South side of the building. Another one of my many projects.
    Have you visited the tractorbynet dot com site?
    I am not familiar with the JD318, I will have to look it up.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cybulski

Jeff
    Jeff,
    I think you were talking about Matt's tractor. I looked up the JD318 on Google, the 318 is a little smaller than my 2010. The 2010 is a Row Crop and is a mid size tractor with a 35 HP engine made in 1965.
    Matt did a beautiful job on his mower. I don't have much experience with spray painting but it won't be long before I learn by trial and probably a bunch of error.
    David B