Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Tractor Project

Ya know... I started working for my father when I was nine. I didn't want to, but the choice wasn't mine. I've worked all my life since then. I'm retired now. Your hobbies, as you call them, sound too much like work to me!
    Enjoy.
    The Fiery Gizzard!

Quote Originally Posted by john dennis
    Ya know... I started working for my father when I was nine. I didn't want to, but the choice wasn't mine. I've worked all my life since then. I'm retired now. Your hobbies, as you call them, sound too much like work to me!
    Enjoy.
    John,

Your point is well taken, however there is a sense of accomplishment when we produce something ourselves. Building a tool or modifying a piece of equipment is very satisfying and when you can use that tool for a project it's a great feeling. I think most hobbies involve a certain amount of work but we learn from the experience and increase our capability at the same time.

I spent a lot of years as an inspector, watching other people work. At the end of the day there is a feeling of contributing but the job lacks the ability to be creative most of the time. To design and build with your own hands scratches an itch for many people.

For many people life is a quest for knowledge, to learn and experience as much as possible. Although physical labor is often involved in a certain task it doesn't degrade the experience of the day if the soul is satisfied.

Ol'Keith

I couldn't agree more. I do make rustic furniture and I do it almost everyday. Due to some medical problems, some days I just can't. I was a supervisor of graphics for one of the largest direct mail companies in the world. The people that worked for me did all the creative work. I was just a baby sitter (and I do mean baby) for the most part. Since I've retired I've been able to get back to more creative outlets and enjoying every moment of it. But when I read about building stuff, taking them apart and cleaning and painting... still sounds like work to me.
    The Fiery Gizzard!