Thread: If the Jet Tormek was too expensive, try the Harbor Freight knockoff

If the Jet Tormek was too expensive, try the Harbor Freight knockoff

Others knockoffs can't be far behind now... Grizzly, etc...

see item number 95526-OHSH

I didn't look it up online, but I saw it in the new catalog that came yesterday. Pg 46.

Is this what you are talking about . . . . .

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33867

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Shank
    Others knockoffs can't be far behind now... Grizzly, etc...

see item number 95526-OHSH

I didn't look it up online, but I saw it in the new catalog that came yesterday. Pg 46.
    That number online comes up:
    95526 The Specifications for this item are not currently available online, or the item has been discontinued

Wonder if Tormek or Jet threatened to sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson
    That number online comes up:
    95526 The Specifications for this item are not currently available online, or the item has been discontinued
    Wonder if Tormek or Jet threatened to sue.
    Came up for me. May have just been a bug

Pete

Edit: I went by the link. Indeed it does not come up by item number. The link points to a sharpener that doesn't really resemble the Tormek

That looks similar to the Delta wet wheel system. Don't recall the mod. #, but same style. I have found the horizontal wet wheel soft and difficult to keep the edges of the blades perpendicular, and I would scary-sharp for finish anyway. This would be OK for turning tools, but save your $$$ if you want easy, predictable flat tool sharpening. JCB.

Maybe

It doesn't look bad, item #33867. I'll wait until I see it in the local store before I purchase it. Maybe I'll save another 15-20% with a coupon. $85 dollars for a tool that can resharpen my jointer and planer blades, whoopie!

As John said, it's actually a "knock-off" of Delta's horizontal wet wheel sharpener. I own the Delta version myself and I am looking to get rid of it. The set-up time is just too long for me and as John also pointed out it's difficult to get perpendicular edges. Maybe it's just me but I'll stick to my water stones, they're still faster!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Bigelow
    As John said, it's actually a "knock-off" of Delta's horizontal wet wheel sharpener. I own the Delta version myself and I am looking to get rid of it. The set-up time is just too long for me and as John also pointed out it's difficult to get perpendicular edges. Maybe it's just me but I'll stick to my water stones, they're still faster!
    I just sold my Delta version about 3-4 weeks ago. Didn't find it all that useful either.
    Use the fence Luke

Bought the Delta version about a year ago and tool it back after about an hour of frustration. Don't waste your money. Better to put a little away each month and get the real deal! Don't eat lunch for about 30 days and you've got what you need..............and lost a few pounds doing it!

Now that I've had time to see it online, it does look like the delta. In the catalog it looked more like the tormek...

I had to look again at my catalog... and it really does look like a tormek, and not the delta linked above. If you key that item in to hf.com it comes up item not listed.

It could be a catalog only item right now. I think we saw that with the bessey knock offs a few months ago. I'm telling you, it looks like HF has a tormek knockoff.

In the photo of the catalog, it has the tormek 'bar' and it shows a guy sharpening a kitchen butcher's knife with the 'knife jig' that looks almost identical to the jig I have for my tormek.

It says it's an 8" wheel, though. I know the tormek is 10.

Maybe its a Steppach knock off.
    Jim

I just used the link above and the picture is online...

The following is the actual link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95236

There we go... thanks for the link Jeffrey. I knew I wasn't going crazy.