Thread: Layout for a new garage shop.

Layout for a new garage shop.

Hi All, I'm moving from a basement shop to a 24x24 garage shop. I'm at a loss as to where to even start here. I've been on the Grizzly site using their shop layout software but I can't get a good sense form looking at it on the computer.

Does anybody have a layout that seems to work for anything around this size? I have most of the usual tools including BS,CS, jointer/planer router table, mortising machine, lathe, etc. I'd appreciate very much any pics or diagrams you might have so I can have somewhere to at least start. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. What's it going to be like going from a basement shop to the garage?
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    Hi All, I'm moving from a basement shop to a 24x24 garage shop. I'm at a loss as to where to even start here. I've been on the Grizzly site using their shop layout software but I can't get a good sense form looking at it on the computer.

Does anybody have a layout that seems to work for anything around this size? I have most of the usual tools including BS,CS, jointer/planer router table, mortising machine, lathe, etc. I'd appreciate very much any pics or diagrams you might have so I can have somewhere to at least start. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. What's it going to be like going from a basement shop to the garage?
    Alan, tell us about your table saw, does it have a right-side table extension? How about the planer, how wide is it and how often do you plane wood? Do you plan to install a DC or will you use a portable DC?

Rob

Hi Rob, I have a right side table on the TS and 13" planer, 6" jointer. I do have a dust collector with 4" pipe going to the BS, TS and planer for now. My jointer/planer really get a work out. My BS is a 16" MM. I also have a 6"x9" sanding station, miter saw statilon, bench. Thanks for asking.

Alan I have found that no matter how you lay it out now, you will change it a number of times down the road as needs change or as you acquire more tools.

The one suggestion I can give is to put as many 110 and 220 outlets in as you can. You will find that you will never have enough of either.

Since you say you are moving into a garage shop I would assume that you have an over head door? I put my table-saw a little over 8' from the door. This allows me to cut most things without opening the door and for the few times I have something longer then 8', I just open the door.

As far as the rest, again it depends on what you are going to do most of the time. Since really getting serious with turning I have moved the lathe, drill press, band-saw and grinder within easy reach of each other and not have to go all over to get to them.

When I moved into my 24' x 24' shop I thought I would never need more room, that didn't last long. That is the main reason for selling some of my bigger tools that I don't use anymore, I need more room and storage.

Move in and have fun and time will tell you where you want everything to be. Remember that a shop is a lot like a kitchen where as you don't want to have to keep walking all over to get to the main tools, have some work triangles and again it is going to depend on what tools you use the most.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    Hi Rob, I have a right side table on the TS and 13" planer, 6" jointer. I do have a dust collector with 4" pipe going to the BS, TS and planer for now. My jointer/planer really get a work out. My BS is a 16" MM. I also have a 6"x9" sanding station, miter saw statilon, bench. Thanks for asking.
    I'm working on a new shop layout as well. One thing that I am trying to do is to position the planer to the right side of the TS and serve both with a common DC pipe. The power for both will come from above and follow along the DC pipe. No cords in the floor.

I'm not much help here,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    Alan I have found that no matter how you lay it out now, you will change it a number of times down the road as needs change or as you acquire more tools.

The one suggestion I can give is to put as many 110 and 220 outlets in as you can. You will find that you will never have enough of either.

Since you say you are moving into a garage shop I would assume that you have an over head door? I put my table-saw a little over 8' from the door. This allows me to cut most things without opening the door and for the few times I have something longer then 8', I just open the door.

As far as the rest, again it depends on what you are going to do most of the time. Since really getting serious with turning I have moved the lathe, drill press, band-saw and grinder within easy reach of each other and not have to go all over to get to them.

When I moved into my 24' x 24' shop I thought I would never need more room, that didn't last long. That is the main reason for selling some of my bigger tools that I don't use anymore, I need more room and storage.

Move in and have fun and time will tell you where you want everything to be. Remember that a shop is a lot like a kitchen where as you don't want to have to keep walking all over to get to the main tools, have some work triangles and again it is going to depend on what tools you use the most.

Thanks Dick, That makes sense to me. One advantage I'll have is surface mounted conduit so I can make changes if I want to the electrical. I'll still put in a lot of outlets including the ceiling. I like you kitchen analogy.

BTW how do you heat and cool your shop. In North Carolina cooling will be a big thing with me. My basement shop was always cool all summer long.

Thanks again. Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will
    I'm working on a new shop layout as well. One thing that I am trying to do is to position the planer to the right side of the TS and serve both with a common DC pipe. The power for both will come from above and follow along the DC pipe. No cords in the floor.

I'm not much help here,

Rob
    I'm glad to hear your ideas Rob. I'm also trying to position my planer/jointer near the TS but I always seem to get interference with the heights. Dust collection is very important to me so I want this to work.

I heat with a hanging heater (a Hot Dawg by Modine) of the generic type. All are about the same and there are lots of internet sources for them as well as local shops. I got mine from a greenhouse website, it was the best price I was able to find.

For A/C I open the doors but I'm in middle Michigan and summer is defined as 3 months of bad skiing.

As for layout just put the saw in the middle and plop everything else around it and work for a while. Like several others have said you will want to change the layout some soon anyway. I just built my shop (24x30) and am still putting in tools, benches and the like. The layout works pretty good but I still need a few things. You should be able to check my old posts and find some old pictures.

I caught some guff for it being clean when I shot the photos so I should grab some right now and post. Clean isn't and adjective I would use right now.

Enjoy

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz
    I heat with a hanging heater (a Hot Dawg by Modine) of the generic type. All are about the same and there are lots of internet sources for them as well as local shops. I got mine from a greenhouse website, it was the best price I was able to find.

For A/C I open the doors but I'm in middle Michigan and summer is defined as 3 months of bad skiing.

As for layout just put the saw in the middle and plop everything else around it and work for a while. Like several others have said you will want to change the layout some soon anyway. I just built my shop (24x30) and am still putting in tools, benches and the like. The layout works pretty good but I still need a few things. You should be able to check my old posts and find some old pictures.

I caught some guff for it being clean when I shot the photos so I should grab some right now and post. Clean isn't and adjective I would use right now.

Enjoy

Joe

Hi Joe,

Very funny and informative post. I'd like to see pics of your shop now. I'm going to find your old post and check them out too. I'm glad your shop is not that clean anymore; that means it's getting some good use. Thanks for the ideas Joe. Alan