Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Box Closer

Question Toy Box Closer

I have been looking in catalogs and not seen (or overlooked) 'soft-close' devices for toy box lids. I have seen the supports that 'lock' in the up position but they do not offer a soft close once you start to pull them down (sorta' like a pneumatic device). Does anyone know where they are available?

George

Here is example of one that is spring loaded to hold the lid open but it has not 'soft close' capability.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/p...E19DA16381D1BA
    Last edited by George Summers; 12-08-2003 at 6:05 PM.

Hi George,
    I have used the lid support that you listed the link for. If you let go of the lid it will stay in that position unless it is about 1/4 of the way from shutting at least that is what mine did also need to know the approx. weight of the lid. I think this is what you are looking for in way of a soft closing lid support Soft Close Lid Support There are a couple of different types click on the Soft down supports link on top of that page to see more.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

p.s. now my links work not quite use to this format
    Last edited by Dave Crabbs; 12-08-2003 at 7:37 PM.

Try this they're not pneumatic, but they stop the toybox lid from slamming by slowing the drop. You'll find them at Lee Valley -www.leevalley.com Best of all I think they are pretty cheap. -Steve

George,

I have the closer you cited mounted on my son's toybox. Actually two - one on each side. The lid stays where you put it and doesn't move until you move it. Also it doesn't lock, just stays in position. This is especially important now that Sam likes to empty and then refill his toy chest - repeatedly. He won't leave until the lid is closed properly.

Wes

toy box closer

I found a closer called a "flap stay" from Lee Valley.--you can order online at www.leevalley.com The Lee Valley part number is 00U06.01. It costs about 12.00,plus 6 or 7 shipping--under $20.00 (Maybe shipping less if more than one item purchased) It works great0 was designed for blanket chests--will stay in open position and gradually close when the lid has pressure applied. No way fingers get smashed if installed correctly. Larry

I decided on these closers:

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...7&LARGEVIEW=ON

I will use two, one on each side, the top is 14# 17"x43".

I also am doing the following:

I put a 3/4" block under each hinge to raise the hinge side of the top up and put three 3/4" spacers on the front lip of the top. This will give me a 3/4" space around the top. This is so little fingers can not be mashed even with soft-closers. It also will allow air in should he decide to crawl in and take a nap. As he grows, the spacers can be removed and the top returned to its normal flush position.

Thanks for your ideas.

George

This is weird. Just yesterday I was asked if I would build a toy chest and here, today, I find this great thread. You people reading my mind or something????
    Lynn J. Sonier

A nice little bump here..............

I was looking all day around town for a toy chest closer that props the top open and closes slowly. After finding NOTHING to satisfy those requirements, I figured I'd try a 'shot in the dark' and type in "toy chest closer" at good ole sawmill.......and what do you know? I just ordered the Lee Valley one. This website has been an amazing find! Thanks all

Lowes carries the type in your example. Look in the "hinge" section. Dick B.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Bringhurst
    Lowes carries the type in your example. Look in the "hinge" section. Dick B.
    Unfortunately not the Lowe's here. I looked up and down the door, hinge, stops, etc aisles with no avail. No matter, the Lee Valley one should work out fine............hopefully.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by John Kain
    A nice little bump here..............

I was looking all day around town for a toy chest closer that props the top open and closes slowly. After finding NOTHING to satisfy those requirements, I figured I'd try a 'shot in the dark' and type in "toy chest closer" at good ole sawmill.......and what do you know? I just ordered the Lee Valley one. This website has been an amazing find! Thanks all
    Just received this flap stay. It is a huge disappointment. No way would this thing even slow down a jewelry box lid, much less a toy chest. I've emailed Lee Valley and Richelieu (the manufacturer) to see if I got a defective flap stay.

This is just a little note in case this flap stay is functional because I wouldn't want anyone to search for something like this and then buy this piece of crap.

John, are you talking about these LVT lid supports?

If so, I can personally testify to them working well. I have a set on a toybox that I built 6-7 years ago and they work fine. I put another set on a toybox that I made for my Brother-in-law's kids for christmas.

The only concern is that they are basically designed to go with 3/4" thick stock. Any change from that and you're on your own as far as the installation template.

best,
    ...art

These work: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...740,43745&ap=1

Rockler has them too.

Thanks for the replies guys. I purchased one of these originally:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43597,43604

I think I'll try one of the friction lid stays that Barry rec'd.
    Last edited by John Kain; 03-03-2006 at 8:43 AM.

It is my understanding that the Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends (requires?) the closers that hold the toy box lids in any position, not the ones that only gently (slowly) squeeze little fingers.

I have used the one from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=410 which appears to be the same as others have suggested from elsewhere. The key is to first make the lid, get the weight and distance from the hinge pins to the center of gravity (normally the center of the lid), then choose the right support or supports to match the distance and weight. The lid moves very easily but does not drop.