Thread: wiring remote switch to 3520B

Question wiring remote switch to 3520B

I've spent most of the weekend preparing blanks but now I'm trying to wire the remote switch that came with my Mustard. Since I'm so electrically challenged I'd better ask for help at this point because the instructions are unclear; the schematic is unclear to me as well.

I'm posting two pics, each showing the two wires from the remote switch where I have pulled them through the front of the headstock. Can someone tell me exactly where to connect these two wires? I'd like to get this completed this evening. Thanks.
    DSC01515.JPG DSC01516.JPG

Mark - could you post the instructions and schematic for us? Just to be sure...

My first thoughts would be that the wires would attach to the on/off switch right on top of the existing wires - effectively duplicating the original circuit. Exact order of the wires shouldn't make any difference as it is just a switch.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mark,

Going by the schematic the white wire (neutral) is easy, just undo the tape and one of the wire nuts from the white wire bundle and add your white wire from the remote switch, replace the wire nut and pull on the wire to make sure it's fastened good, then tape the wire nut back up.

Now the black wire (hot), which goes to the on / off switch (lathe) which on the schematic shows screw terminals. I can't tell from your picture if the on / off switch has screw terminals or not. Also your picture shows that the "black" or hot wire is actually blue, where it shows black on the schematic. If the switch (on the lathe) has screws, then add your black wire with the blue one.

Otherwise I would cut the blue wire a ways back from the lathe switch, strip the two cut ends, add your black wire, twist them together and add a wire nut, then finally tape the wire nut.

Does this make sense?

MikeT

Mark , I found this page for you it has articles on the remote switch ,hope it helps. I didn't look at the aticles, but it might be usefull.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-25-2007 at 6:20 PM. Reason: Links to other forums are not permitted per the TOS. - Sorry
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

Here is the schematic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Pete, after looking at your schematic I would think the best way to hook it up would be in series with the push/pull switch. This would require you to have both switches ON for the lathe to operate but either switch could turn the lathe off.

To hook up the remote in series - disconnect one wire from the original push pull switch and wire-nut it to one of the leads of the remote switch. The remaining wire from the remote switch would attach to the spot on the original push/pull switch where you had removed the first wire.

BEFORE you do anything - get a third opinion from an engineer - like Jim Becker or someone.
    Steve

Its not me, its Mark. I would never try anything like that.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Mark,

Steve has given you the correct connections.

Check your PM and I'll give you a call and walk you through it.

Clem

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf
    Pete, after looking at your schematic I would think the best way to hook it up would be in series with the push/pull switch. This would require you to have both switches ON for the lathe to operate but either switch could turn the lathe off.

To hook up the remote in series - disconnect one wire from the original push pull switch and wire-nut it to one of the leads of the remote switch. The remaining wire from the remote switch would attach to the spot on the original push/pull switch where you had removed the first wire.

BEFORE you do anything - get a third opinion from an engineer - like Jim Becker or someone.

Sorry Pete - all the gears are not fully engaged!
    Steve

Mark,

I have closely looked at your pictures and the schematic that Pete included above. I have the 3520A and you have the 3520B and the wiring is slightly different.

You have a YELLOW wire connected to the terminal marked 1 on the switch in the headstock. The terminal marked 2 on the switch looks like it has a blue wire and a white wire connected to it. You need to disconnect these two wires (the blue and the white). Release the screw and remove the two wires and connect the BLACK wire from the remote switch to the connection where these two wires were. You now have the BLUE and WHITE wire loose and you need to connect the WHITE wire from the remote switch to the BLUE and WHITE wires. You will have three wires connected together. It looks like at least two of the wires and probably all three wires will have a spade lug on the end. It is like a "U" at the end of the wire. These went under the screw. Make sure that all three of these wires are connected at the ends so you have a good electrical connection. (You could wrap a bare wire to all three and then tape them or just tape them tightly together to make a secure electrical connection) Make sure no bare wires are loose and that when you put the switch back into the headstock that no wires will rub on anything that is rotating.

The remote switch is a low voltage and low current control connection.

Hope this helps.

Clem

Edited for typos.
    Last edited by Clem Wixted; 02-25-2007 at 8:28 PM.

Smile got 'er done!

I called tech support at WMH today and the man there gave me easy to follow instructions, which makes the schematic completely non-confusing.
    This is what I started with:
    DSC01519.JPG

You can see a blue wire and a white wire together connected to the right terminal in the above picture. I disconnected these two wires, removed the connectors and stripped them. I also removed the connector from the white wire coming off the remote switch. First, to be absolutely sure I was doing the right thing, I used an alligator clip to join the three wires:
    DSC01520.JPG

I connected the black wire from the remote switch to the "main" switch terminal, the one I had removed the blue & white wires from earlier. Plugged 'er in, turned 'er on, and we have power!
    DSC01521.JPG

Bound up the three wires with a wire nut, reinforced it with some electrical tape...
    DSC01524.JPG

...and I'm in business!
    DSC01525.JPG

All in all, a very simple job, but it was anything but simple before I talked to tech support. After I hung up the phone, I looked again at the schematic and it was like a light went on in my head. Clear as day. Like I said earlier, I'm no electrician! I hope this helps someone else.

Mark,
    Excellent job of using pics to show how to make this connection.
    Since this topic appears regularly, and pictures speak a thousand words, could this be added to the SMC articles?
    Last edited by Rik Rickerson; 02-28-2007 at 3:39 AM.
    -Rik