Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any AR guys here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    And I'm not kidding about flat-top scope mounting and high-light-gathering scopes for this rifle. Makes a world of difference, and the only way I'd put a scope on Matty Mattell's rifle.
    I agree with that on a functional basis, but aren't there still matches that only allow "GI-style" uppers with the integral carry handle?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    I agree with that on a functional basis, but aren't there still matches that only allow "GI-style" uppers with the integral carry handle?
    You are correct. The DCM Service Rifle Rules these days apparently preclude detachable handles. I don't know why, because they allow heavy barrels....a real advantage over a rack rifle....where a sloppy-fitting carrying handle with rear sight would be just the opposite. My "DCM-legal" AR 15 weighed 13 pounds.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/competitions/rules.htm

But why bother with these rifles at all, unless you are a policeman or plan on competing in Service Rifle? Too small to hunt much with. Not as good as a shotgun for home defense. Ugly cast aluminum and plastic. Carries the "assault rifle" stigma. And as a Service Rifle, you can handload all the 5.56 you want, but you'll come up a loser against my 7.62 at 600 yards and out. Army and Marine standings have declined some since they switched to M16's for competition after I retired.

Or a scope, for that matter? Maybe for prairie dogs. Or a short-range police sniper with backup. In serious shooting, even the best of them are so much slower than irons, they can be a real hindrance in engagements under 200 yards.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 02-28-2007 at 3:45 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

""""""""""""
    But why bother with these rifles at all
    """""""""""
    Prarire dogs, also pest control and small game hunting
    cheap plunking
    light recoil
    cheap reloading
    3 gun matches
    Reworked can be quite accurate considering bullet weight

Probably a few more, but the biggie is, just because ya want one...

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits
    """"""""""""

Probably a few more, but the biggie is, just because ya want one...

Al
    So long as your eyes are wide open. These are specialty rifles.

In the annual All-Army Small Arms Championships in my day, the "3-gun Match" was your combined score on the M9/M1911 pistol, M16 rifle, and M60 machine gun.

If you like the AR15, you'da loved the real thing.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Actually I prefer a bolt gun, but the guys I know that owe them seem to enjoy the AR's, a few use then for Praire dog shooting and do quite well with them, they are much modified though.

Even more than a bolt gun, I enjoy handguns, was shooting Bullseye about the time you were shooting Bob, got bore punching holes in paper and got into IPSC, steel shoots and bowling pin matches...
    The three gun I was refering to was the IPSC style of action shooting.
    Different strokes for different folks.

""""""""
    they can be a real hindrance in engagements under 200 yards.
    """""
    Boy could we start an disscusion on that one...

Al

I have a brother who was on Tampa, Florida's SWAT team. (He's now the trainer) He carried an M-16 variant in the trunk of his squad car. He told me that there is several things to do to accurize the rifles. I don't know where you might find the information, but you might google for police/law enforcement sites to get the goods. All I know is that they work well on woodchucks.