Thread: Correcting a mistake?

Correcting a mistake?

The top to my 13x48 cabinet is not flat. One corner is lower than the others. (34”) Measuring at each corner to the floor show 1/8 variance.
    Plan of action?
    Mark lines to the floor at 34” and draw out horizontal lines on the 4 sides that show the right level.
    Belt sand to near the lines, and then flatten with a #8 jointer. (This is a 23” long hand plane)

Am I on the right track?

Is the floor level? Does the cabinet look uneven? If you shave 1/8" off of the high corners, will it look thinner at those spots? Did you measure the diagonals to see if it is square?

Yes, used a flat to check cross corners, back left to right front is flat, right back to left front is not. Measurements from top to bottom show why.

My concern is because a 55 gallon tank will set on this, and glass does not give.

Blog Entries
    Is this a permanent install? Is the floor perfectly level? Shim the errant foot?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I leave my mistakes. We call them character. It will make the piece much more valuable in 100yrs when they are sought after as folk art.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Shuford
    Yes, used a flat to check cross corners, back left to right front is flat, right back to left front is not. Measurements from top to bottom show why.

My concern is because a 55 gallon tank will set on this, and glass does not give.
    If you are making a fish tank stand, which is what it sounds like from your comment. It is very important that the top is perfectly level all the way accross.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

On a fishtank any out of level area will cause stress and eventual leaking. If this is the plan, fix the problem or start over.

I'm currently working on a stand for a 210g tank. I will be leveling the base to his floor and building up from there.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Shuford

Put the stand in it's eventual permanent spot and recheck.

Put a piece of 1/2 styroam between the tank and stand if you are really worried about it. (The styro sheet is the full size of your top) The weight of the full tank will compress the foam to even itself out. That's what I did with my 180 gallon tank.

You can also shim the corner that isn't flat. Or you can shim the short leg.

The main thing with an aquarium is to make sure all 4 corners are supported. If there's a small gap along between the corners, that's not a big deal. I used to have about 30 aquariums, and built plenty of stands.

I've seen some tanks supported by only the corners, such as 4 stacks of cinder blocks. I don't recommend it, but again, as long as 4 corners are supported, you are ok.