Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lathe

New Lathe

I finally have a lathe. I had ordered the Rikon the first week in January. I had picked it because it had 2" larger capacity in both swing and between centers than the Jet 1014. It came in and I cleaned it up, and turned it on the slowest speed - pretty cool. Then I switched to the next higher speed and it had a rattle coming from the headstock area in the enclosed space between the pulleys and the faceplate. I tried all the speeds and the rattle was there in all but the lowest speed. I packed it back up and took it back the next day. By this time word had spread about the new Jet 1220 coming out and without hesitation decided to wait on one of them - they had gotten in 2 or 3 (or 4) of them and they had sold the last one the day before. This is what I would have bought had it been there at first. So here it is:

Jet 1220-002.JPG

I have the Rikon universal stand. After measuring I discovered the mounting holes in this lathe are too far apart (Rats!!) for the stand so I am going to mount each end to a 2x10, the mount the 2x10 on each end to the outside holes (there are 2 sets of holes left/right as well as forward/backward on both mounting plates on the stand) so the lathe will be direcdtly over the mounting plates with the boards bolted on. I didn't get to finish that tonight so it will be done soon (working around 2 kids' schedules with soccer and school.) I did turn on the lathe both on slow and high speed with a pen blank mounted and it works like a charm and with no rattle . So for $50 more than the Rikon, this lathe as 4 more inches between centers, comes with the built in light (I didn't know that when I ordered it), has a 3/4 hp motor (another unkown to me at the time), has both a 6" and a 10" tool rest (yet another nice surprise), and it has 24 position indexing (I had heard about the indexing but not that it was 24 positions). All in all I am quite excited and anxious to get started. Now all I have to do is sharpen some tools and start practicing.

I wish work didn't get in the way of so much important stuff.

I do have a question if you are still with me at this point: I have read various methods using various materials to protect the sled and various bare metal areas. I cleaned the oil off using WD-40. I have read about TopCote, Boeshield T-9, and paste wax and would like to some recommendations on what to use and why as well as anything to be aware of.

I'm looking forward to having some time to play - the weekend isn't too far off.
    John

"It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day
    that you realize how often they burst into flames."

Big congrats, John! Sounds like you were destined for that machine. Why fight it, huh?

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on that bad boy once you've had some time on it. If it's anything like its little brother you will be very happy with it for a long time to come.

I know what you mean about work taking time away from the important stuff. Wish I had more time to turn.

Safe spinning!

CONGRATS!!!

Awesome looking machine. I agree with above's post...if that is as nicely done as its older sibling...that would rock!
    Dario

Congrats John! I've got a Jet VS Mini and it's a great lathe. Report back about yours after you've used it for a while!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congratulations John!

Your world just started rockin'
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

As for protection on the metal parts, I have seen threads on message forums bashing the use of Boeshield on a lathe. Some people report that it "gums up" the lathe bed. While I have never had such an experience and I would bet that those folks are not applying the Boeshield and then buffing it in/off, I tend to stick with Johnson's paste wax. No rust on the bed to date and it stays nice and slick.

John,
    Congrats on the new lathe.

I have my tools in an unheated garage. I use Dri-Film Lubricant (PTFE) from Lowes. They are cheaper than T-9. I find this stuff make the band saw table slick, blanks slide easily on the table. Dust doesn't cling to the surface; it leaves no residue. I don't clean up very often. So far it works well for me. I have no problem with banjo or tailstock creeping. Application is easy. No buffing required.
    I like this better than WD-40. WD-40 leaves a sticky residue that attracts dust and needs to be treated more often.

Gordon

john--

congrats on the new lathe!

i had a few light rust marks on the ways of my jet mini after turning some wet wood.

i soaked a piece of 000 steel wool in wd-40 and scrubbed the ways until the stain was gone.

then, i removed the wd-40 with some acetone on a paper towel.

i used carnuba wax to seal everything.

i treated the bottom surfaces of the tool rest and tail stock similarly.

the ways have stayed clean and the tool rest an tail stock slide much better. the wax really prevents dust and dirt from sticking to the ways while you're working.
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

I got the Rikon for Christmas and have been very happy with it, but I agree...I would have asked Santa for the Jet if I'd known about it at the time. By the way, I don't know what you're talking about regarding work "getting in the way".
    Working for a living is really starting to interfere with my hobbies!

Congrats on your new lathe! Let us know how well it performs once you've had it for awhile.

FWIW - I use Johnson's paste wax on all my tools.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

IMHO you have a better machine now than you would if you had kept the Rikon. As for mounting it to the stand, a 2x10 might work well but I would suggest something thicker, like three pieces of MDF face-glued together. The heavier and more rigid the mounting surface, the better off you are.

Blog Entries
    Be careful, dipping your toes in the waters of the vortex will have you swimming at the deep end before you know it. Congradulations. Don't limit yourself to small stuff. You can go pretty good sized on that little animal. You're about to open a new world of enjoyment.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Congrats on the new lathe. I use Johnson's paste wax on all my lathe beds. Works just fine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thank you to all for the advice and thoughts. I am hoping to finish setting it up this evening after getting back from my 11 year old's soccer session.
    John

"It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day
    that you realize how often they burst into flames."

I've used 3-in-1 oil for years on my tools. Just a very light coating. I've been using it on my lathe bed and tools for a while and have seen no ill effect. Keeps things clean and smooth.

Any comments on 3-in-1 ?