Thread: Importing Laser to Canada

Importing Laser to Canada

I have bought a used laser engraver in the U.S. and plan to drive it across the border. Does anyone have any experience bringing such a piece of equipment as to the paperwork they require? I realize I will have to pay taxes on it, but I don't want to get stuck at the border and not be able to bring it across the border.
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

I had contacted the gov't about that once because I was considering buying used in the US and driving it back. They gave me a link to their website where I could download a form I'd need to get it across the border. I'm really sorry I can't remember what that was, but really all you have to do is call Canada Customs and they'll be more than willing to help.

I decided against it, though, because I found out shortly thereafter that you also have to have it inspected and approved for electrical certification in Canada as well, which could run you upwards of $1000. Add that to the cost of transport, taxes, duty, etc... and we were getting pretty close to the cost of a new machine, so I figured I might as well pay for a new one and get the warrantee with it.
    Vicky
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." ~Zen Sarcasm
    The Toys:
    LaserPro Explorer 30W (with all the goodies)
    New Hermes Vanguard 3400
    New Hermes pantograph
    Really, really old heat press, with nothing to press now that my toner cartridge is RIP.

Most items manufactured in the US that are designed specifically to be distributed in both the US and Canada will have both a UL and a CSA mark on their model or serial number plate. If the CSA mark is there, then it already is certified for electrical use in Canada and wouldn't need any additional testing.

Besides talking to customs about the forms, you might want to also talk to the manufacturer about getting a NAFTA certificate (assuming the laser is made in the US). That will save you money on import duties. You can ask customs about that too. I believe you have 30 days to file NAFTA papers after importing to get the duties back, but I suspect it would be easier to have them at the time of import.
    Dave Jones -- Epilog Mini-24, 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, Creative Suite CS2

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones
    Most items manufactured in the US that are designed specifically to be distributed in both the US and Canada will have both a UL and a CSA mark on their model or serial number plate. If the CSA mark is there, then it already is certified for electrical use in Canada and wouldn't need any additional testing.
    When I went for my ULS demo, she had an electrician in to CSA certify all of the new machines she had just received.
    Vicky
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." ~Zen Sarcasm
    The Toys:
    LaserPro Explorer 30W (with all the goodies)
    New Hermes Vanguard 3400
    New Hermes pantograph
    Really, really old heat press, with nothing to press now that my toner cartridge is RIP.