Thread: Turned horn plugs ...

Turned horn plugs ...

These plugs are what got me started in wood turning in the beginning ... the pens, bowls, hollow forms and boxes all came about from having been influenced by some notorious characters lurking around Badger Pond, Sawmill Creek, Wood Central, etc. I make custom powder horns for Black Powder shooters and/or collectors and turning the plugs is a lot of fun, trying different woods and shapes. These are three less expensive horns for Christmas presents, prior to doing the engraving. I'll put deer scenes, names and straps on all three of these this weekend.

The one on the left is turned from Poplar, middle is Maple and the right is Cedar. The horns are 14 inches long and 2 1/2 inches at the base. All six plugs (large and small) are finished simply with three coats of Danish Oil. Nothing fancy here. Collector Grade or Museum Display horns get a lot more loving care for the finishing and engraving. I'll buff those types of horns until they look like glass. It's like wood, some people like glossy and some like the matte finishes. Thanks for looking, have fun and be safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Super job Ron, I've never had any experience with these before. What did you make the large ends with? They look great now, how bout showing us what they look like after the engraving? Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"