Thread: Table saw or Bandsaw

Table saw or Bandsaw

Hi Everyone

This past Saturday my fine Ryobi BT3000 decided it was no longer going to permit raising and lowering of the blade. I inspected and lubed the beast but in the end the Ryobi had it's way. The shims ... Let me just say that the saw is no longer worth the cost, effort or frustration to repair.

I am a woodturner and have used the saw in the past 6 years in support of that activity. Previously the saw was used for corner work. But since I started woodturning I have had no interest in making corners.

I cut 8/4 stock into 2x2 stock for spindles and such. I also lop off the corners of bowl blanks and platters. A fair amount of cross cutting goes on (for cutting 2x2 to length).

I do not own a bandsaw, never have.

I am considering replacing this bairly usable (the blade is stuck in the 2 1/2" up position) with a bandsaw.

I would like to know what you think.

Bandsaw or table saw? What brand of saw. Indeed the saw is used only to support woodturning, what would I be giving up by replacing the table saw with a bandsaw?

Thanks
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Hi Richard, I am certainly not the expert here but you got me to thinking.(UH-OH) I have both a TS and BS and I always use the BS when perparing something for the lathe.
    Just my two cents.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Yup, I'm with Richard on this one. I don't think I've ever used the TS in prepping much of anything for lathe work, outside of maybe some pen blanks and there too, you can still use the BS. So, if you're relegating yourself to just one or the other, my vote would go for the BS. Matter of fact, I think there's, at least, one guy on this forum who does a fair amount of flat work and *only* owns a bandsaw and has no interest in getting a TS. As I recall, he puts out some beautiful flat work! Oh, if that will indeed be your *only* saw, get a good one!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

If I could only own one tool for woodworking it would be the bandsaw, for lathe work you will be able to do more than you could with a table saw but I also reccomend getting a good one. The grizzly 14 inch for under 400 bucks gets high marks on all the reviews. Good woodworking.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Everyone has always said " If your going to get one tool get a good TS".
    How does that change now?
    You've succeeded in your craft till now with a TS.
    You haven't missed a BS.
    There's always that pop-up home task that requires some flying saw dust.
    I say TS.
    TJH

Richard,

I can't imagine living without my table saw, but then I do almost 100% flat work.....though I am sorely tempted by you guys at times. If all I were doing was turning and could have only one saw, I too, would go with the band saw. About the only limitation would be not being able to crosscut long pieces for spindle work, but then an inexpensive chop saw, a circular saw or even a handsaw would handle that task.

JMO
    Bob

Richard, I'd have to side with the band saw crowd on this one given that your primary activity is turning. I actually think it will be safer for the things you have been using a saw for and open up some additional capablities as you prepare chunks 'o wood for your lathe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all so much for your replies.

As for the pop-up home tasks. The last time I did something in the house was to instsall a U-Line 25 lb ice maker. I had to cut away part of the cabinet. Took me all day to get everything right. The instail looked good the ice maker was making ice. I thought for sure my wife would be pleased.

Turns out there was some sawdust in a drawer and the entire focus ended up being on that saw dust. That was nearly 10 years ago. I haven't done anythign in the house since. If she wants something in the house she will do it herself of pay someone to do it for her. She was so disapointed in my work on her ice maker that I never want to go there again.

So since it is a bandsaw, what particular bandsaw shoudl it be? There was one mention of a 14" Grizzly. If I had $1500 to get a bandsaw which one?

Thanks
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

For cutting bowl blanks a bandsaw is the way to go. I had a 14" Jet and although it is a very good bandsaw, it's way underpowered for cutting wet bowl blanks. It was very easy for me to stall the motor.

Anyhow, since I also have a need to resaw wood I went with a bandsaw (Minimax MM20) with a fairly large resaw capacity as well as a large motor (4.8hp). The large motor has no problem cutting through wet wood. If you don't need a large (i.e. 15") resaw capacity then I would seriously look at the Minimax MM16 (3.8hp). The Minimax MM series of bandsaws are very well built, very rugged, and are probably the best in the market; they're made by Centaro in Italy for Minimax. The normal price of the MM16 is $1895, but you can save $100 or so if you order by the end of the year. Minimax is the class leader, somewhat lesser in quality are the Laguna - Felder - Bridgewood Pro bandsaws (made by the same company, different motors, get the Bridgewood), and then followed up by the various Asian imports (Jet, Grizzly, et al). You'll find lots of reviews out there on the Minimax bandsaws, for more information check out www.minimax-usa.com

Richard

I'd go with the bandsaw, you'll be amazed what you'll find yourself doing with that thing! Check out a post I started awhile back Laguna-minimax bandsaw wars -- you'll find lots of opinions!

I settled on a Laguna -- just didn't like the way the salesman was acting at Minimax. One day there was a "special" the next day it was gone when I called. Just my opinion. I suggest you get the videos from each company. Both are good in their own way.

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to be able to buy the Laguna. I decided to buy a "higher priced" machine after I read a few posts about people "improving" their lower priced units, by adding riser blocks, upgraded guides etc. I didn't have to do any of that with the machine I bought.

I like the Laguna guides and am very pleased with the ability to cut STRAIGHT lines without fiddling with the machine. I'm sure I'll be able to improve its performance once I fiddle with the setup, but out of the box -- actually off the pallet -- with a 3/4 inch factory blade on the machine I was able to cut pieces off my test 2 x 4 that were paper thin. The only "tuning" I did was to install the blade and tension it.
    I'm not pushing the Laguna, we all make our own decisions, but I would encourage you to buy the most capable machine you can afford.

I have a Dewalt benchtop table saw -- I know not the greatest but it was best I could fit into my shared garage/shop space. At this point having buought the bandsaw, I think I'll use it mostly for cross cutting and wide ripping that I can't do with the bandsaw. I was fussing around on a project this afternoon and needed to cut some thin strips, approimately 3/16" in thinkness. This would be a major project for me to do on the tablesaw, but it was so easy on the bandsaw -- I never really thought much about it. I cranked the fence down close to the blade, ran the board through several times and got back to work. I'm sure I would have been fussing with the table saw and pushblockes to get that cut safely accomplished,

I'm with the bandsaw crowd

Richard,
    I can't imagine any advantage of a TS over a BS if it is strictly used to support your turning addiction. I've used the BS for everything from knocking off the MEAN corners of a 36" by 36" by 3" thick square for a ships wheel clock to "squaring off" pen blanks. As far as I'm concerned (my opinion and a buck will get you a cup of coffee sans the cream), there is NO debate here whatsoever. My only question is: How do you get along without a TS in your shop? I use mine for everything from cutting wood to trimming my toenails.

Don't laugh. I do a lot better on the toenails than I do on the wood.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lasley
    Richard,

I can't imagine living circular saw or even a handsaw would handle that task.Bob
    bob...
    "what's a handsaw?"
    mike

richard...you've lived with the tablesaw..why change?