Thread: Ammonia fuming white oak.

Ammonia fuming white oak.

I have recently started ammonia fuming my white oak mission furniture and think it nets a very striking look.

Couple questions
    !. Has anyone else tried this? How did you do it and what were your results?

2. I need a good source for the ammonia, any ideas?

I've used grocery store ammonia but it is only about a 3% solution and takes forever to fume. I'm looking for an industrial strength, about 26% solution, and only my local dry cleaner had any and not for sale. He did give me some to try and that is the way to go. Was able to get the color I wanted within just a few hours. Problem is that I don't want to keep bothering him for it.
    I've cut it twice and it's still too short!!

Randy you might try calling an architectual firm and find out who they use to service their blue print machines they use commercial ammonia good luck
    Charles Lewis

Randy, here's a list of suppliers. I don't know if they sell to the general public.
    http://www.thomasnet.com/products/ammonia-121-1.html
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Randy,
    Check the yellow pages in the nearest city for companies that provide printing services for architectural, engineering and/or surveying firms. They might be able to order the stronger ammonia stuff for you, or point you to someone who still uses it in the blue print process. I used to give our used bottles away to folks who used it for fuming. Worth a call or two.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 03-04-2007 at 5:18 PM.

Randy

Don't know if still available but years ago you could buy stronger amonia water at drug stores.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Ace hardware sells an "industrial Strength" (10%) that's somewhere between the general cleaner and the 29% heavy duty stuff, which is going to be hard for a consumer to acquire.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=family

Blog Entries
    I just took a finishing class today with David Marks and he gets his aqua ammonia from www.artchemicals.com.

Here is a direct link to the aqua ammonia, whose proper chemical name is Ammonium Hydroxide.

http://www.artchemicals.com/Ammonium...1-6-P67C0.aspx

This should be what you are looking for. I do recommend that you use it outside and cover any cuts or scratches because the fumes burn something terrrible. Of course, use gloves and safety glasses at a minumum, but a charcoal respirator that also filters out ammonia would not be a bad idea either.