Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domino - Tap. Tap. Tap.

Domino - Tap. Tap. Tap.

The problem with ordering that in advance is I keep seeing things where I could do it faster/better if I just had the domino now.

I keep asking myself "can I wait a month on that piece?" lol

Pete

I saw one in person for the first time at my local Woodcraft today. I'm not really that impressed. I feel the Domino's are a little small and short to be a good tenon. My opinion only, I was however impressed with the unit itself.

Pete,

I can commiserate a little.

I just finished a large Project where on a daily basis

the litany ran with, "sure wish I had that flippin domino."

But as the saying goes, I refuse to live in the past and or wish

dwell in it. Instead I look forward to the time and money this tool

can and will save me on the next one.

So fire and forget.
    http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fes-sc-19.htm

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Russ,

I can assure you the dominos are plenty strong.

So strong in fact on the barrail I joined together,

two pieces 12 foot long solid mahogany,

combined estimated weight, 60 lbs dry fitted.

I was able to lift one end of the assembly to where

the middle was suspended in mid air.

The joint did not break or move. Nuthin.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Thanks Per, I stand corrected. Just my a uneducated observation.

Russ

I received mine yesterday. I was one of the extremely lucky winners of a complete Domino setup from Festol. Yeah...joe

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery
    I saw one in person for the first time at my local Woodcraft today. I'm not really that impressed. I feel the Domino's are a little small and short to be a good tenon. My opinion only, I was however impressed with the unit itself.
    Hi Russ, as an owner/user of a Domino, I can assure you the 1" long tenons are plenty strong.

I almost broke my wrists when I was clamping up this workbench I made.

The time a domino saves has to be seen to be believed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery
    I have had exactly that though running through my head. It's a tad small. There are guys who double the biscuits up making 'em thicker (not deeper tho').

Maybe the much vaunted german engineers have made all the necessary calculations and have decided that they and they alone know how to make two sticks of wook adhere to each other.

Maybe. I dunno, but unless I get in a position where I have a great need to use a whole lot of biscuts and a portable biscuit cutter ( oops mortise cutter) I think I'll stick with my slot mortiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    I have had exactly that though running through my head. It's a tad small. There are guys who double the biscuits up making 'em thicker (not deeper tho').

Maybe the much vaunted german engineers have made all the necessary calculations and have decided that they and they alone know how to make two sticks of wook adhere to each other.

Maybe. I dunno, but unless I get in a position where I have a great need to use a whole lot of biscuts and a portable biscuit cutter ( oops mortise cutter) I think I'll stick with my slot mortiser.
    Hi Cliff, sure there are plenty of applications where a longer tenon is required, but have you ever tested how much stronger overall a 2 1/2" long tenon is compared to a 1" long tenon?

I'm not knocking your slot mortise machine as I would love to have one, but how long do you think it would take to do 128 mortises 10mm x 22mm x 25mm deep on it?
    Last edited by Tim Martin; 03-04-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen
    I received mine yesterday. I was one of the extremely lucky winners of a complete Domino setup from Festol. Yeah...joe
    And just how did you manage that?

PEte

Cliff, assuming equal tolerances between tenon and mortise with Domino and slot mortiser, and assuming that the joint is glued, why would a longer tenon be superior? Were we talking moments on timber frame members, I could see your point, but the Domino seems to be directed towards furniture-scale work, where the determining factor is strength in shear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    And just how did you manage that?

PEte
    There is a Festool users group that was on Yahoo. They recently moved to a proper web forum and Festool donated 5 complete Domino kits to use as incentive to get people to register on the new site. They gave one a away each week. I won week 4. The last one has been given away. I think there was around 750 people registered, so the odds were pretty good...joe

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    Cliff, assuming equal tolerances between tenon and mortise with Domino and slot mortiser, and assuming that the joint is glued, why would a longer tenon be superior? Were we talking moments on timber frame members, I could see your point, but the Domino seems to be directed towards furniture-scale work, where the determining factor is strength in shear.
    Yep - and two 10x20x50mm dominos will cover almost any large furniture joint.
    Regards from Tasmania, Australia

Den

The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

I love your work. Just where is this bar your showing your talents building located? I would love to see it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Lowder
    I love your work. Just where is this bar your showing your talents building located? I would love to see it in person.
    Who are you referring to?