Thread: Incra Wonder Fence & Feather Boards

Incra Wonder Fence & Feather Boards

Besides attaching an axillary fence, has anyone attached vertical feather boards to their WF?

Thanks,

Mike

I realize this is a very old thread but it went unanswered and I ran up against this problem this weekend. I was trying to route rabbets in a 3/4" piece of maple and the Kreg and Rockler feather board slots would not allow me to push them up high enough to properly put them into the track on the front of the fence for this stock height. I'm wondering if any feather board on the market right now (aside from making your own or an auxiliary fence) will work on the front of this fence.

Mike, did you ever figure this out? Also, where in the Chicago area are you?

Thanks,
    Matt

There's a possibility (haven't tried it) you could mount something off the T slot at the front of the hi-rise (black) fence cap as they call it. There's isn't as standard a lot of face area (only the strip of metal each side that forms the slot ) to stabilise whatever you mount, but (subject to testing) it might be enough.

If not you could possibly sandwich a couple of L brackets (slices off some aluminium angle) or even a length of the same angle between the top of the two gold columns that the hi-rise fence cap is mounted on - positioned so that the vertical face is flush with the front edge of the above strips of metal that form the T slot in the hi-rise, and pointing downwards. You'd have to drill the other flange for the two cap screws to pass through, and might need longer cap screws...

Matt,

I use the Jessem stock guides on my WF. Pricey but they work on my router fence and my table saw fence, which is a piece of 8020 extrusion.

~mark

Mark,

So if I read you correctly, you replaced the stock fence portion of your wonder fence with another, taller, extrusion? If so, what height did you use?

Scott in Montana

Hi Scott,

I just attach the jessem guides to the slot in the wonder fence. You can do board thicknesses up to 1 1/4. Picture below.

IMG_0269.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Przybylski View Post
    I realize this is a very old thread but it went unanswered and I ran up against this problem this weekend. I was trying to route rabbets in a 3/4" piece of maple and the Kreg and Rockler feather board slots would not allow me to push them up high enough to properly put them into the track on the front of the fence for this stock height. I'm wondering if any feather board on the market right now (aside from making your own or an auxiliary fence) will work on the front of this fence.

Mike, did you ever figure this out? Also, where in the Chicago area are you?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Sorry - I wrote a response but must have forgot to hit post. Anyway, I ended up attaching a piece of rockler t-track to the top of the fence to hold my board buddies. I have since built a new router table and used a Woodpeck SuperFence. I can attach my Jessem Clear-Cut hold downs to it easily.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    Hi Scott,

I just attach the jessem guides to the slot in the wonder fence. You can do board thicknesses up to 1 1/4. Picture below.

IMG_0269.jpg
    Thanks everyone, I think I'll get the Jessem guides as well, I have looked at them before and thought about purchasing and now I have more reason to.

Mark, I see you use your positioner mounted to a piece of wood and held down with mag switches on a cast iron top. Which top is that and what are the dimensions? Also, if you've got what looks like a 3/4" piece of ply/MDF under the positioner, wouldn't you then technically have lifted the positioner by 3/4"? How is it that it's sitting flat by the fence to the table? That's a nice setup that appeals to me since you can quickly remove the positioner and have another flat surface to, you know, put more junk on top of

Hi Matt,

I got the router table from Quality Grinding. Its a steel top made for my lift and table saw. Quality Grinding went out of business though. Benchdog and a few others make cast iron versions. The positioner is actually sitting on the left hand cabinet saw extension that I removed to install a jessem slider. The board with the mag switches was thicknessed to match the height of the mag switches and I routed out a small section of the top for the positioner so I could still attach it to the fence. The connection at the fence allows for vertical adjustment and I'm at the top end for sure. The fence sits flat on the top. There's also fine sand paper under the positioner so its less likely to move. Its rock solid when the switches are on. Only two of the switches are screwed in so the other two can be popped out and used elsewhere.

~mark
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 09-22-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Matt, your issue may be the size of the t-bolts. For some reason Rockler came out with a "Universal" t-track system using 5/16" bolts and track rather than the standard 1/4" which Incra, Woodpeckers, Jessem and others use. This comes as quite a surprise when you have the 1/4" and buy the other. I wish they would make it more clear that there is a difference. Making something that can only use the other size in one direction is hardly "universal."

Doug