Thread: MDO Board

MDO Board

Hi all. I have a project that I need to do with 1/2" MDO Board. I only need a 2' x 2' piece of material. THe smallest I can find is 4' x 8'. I was wondering if any of you had some extra laying around you could cut for me? I of course would be willing to pay for the material and your time. I am located in Florida if that helps at all.

Check Home Depot or Lowes. Both have various materials cut to sizes like 12x12, 12x24,24x48, etc. You could also check cabinet shops to see if they have any that they can cut for you. If not, it's cheap enough that you could probably buy the whole sheet locally for less than it would cost to have someone ship a piece to you.

I've never seen MDO at Lowe's or HD. I'd suggest going to your local sign shop and asking to buy a scrap. I used to buy several sheets at a time of pre-primed MDO but lately I pretty much have switched over to Alumalite, it's a 1/4" thick sandwich material aluminum on both sides and corrugated plastic center. I do have plenty of scraps of that.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Menards around here sells it, but only in a 4' x 8' sheet.

Mike
    Michael Burroughs
    Burroughs Engraving, Signs & Banners

Most will rip it into smaller pieces if they're not too busy. It's dirt cheap in 1/8' and 1/4" thicknesses.

Mike, where do you find MD that thin? I've only seen it in 1/2" and 3/4" and that's at upscale lumber yards or a Sign Supply.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Hey.. you're close. Lowes doesn't have it, but I get mine at Martin Lumber on Broadway. I forget the price, but it was like $18/sht for 1/4"

I think Dunn Lumber has it as well. Seems like the smallest they had was 3/8" at one of the two places. Martin's has a great supply of thin ply as well.

what is MDO...

Is it MDF but different? Why would I want to buy it and what would I use if for?
    Carol VanArnam Epilog Helix 60w, Corel 12, I like chocolate.....

MDF Supply

Hi Joe;
    I found 1/4" MDF at Home Depot- also 1/8" once but seems they no longer carry it. Amazingly, 1/8" and 1/4" hardboard (masonite) cuts very well on the laser-use a lot of the 1/8" wallboard version which has a white painted top surface and engraves very well- cheap at about $12 for a 4x8.
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

Just to clarify, MDF (medium density fiberboard) is available locally in thinner sheets. MDO (medium density overlay) is an outdoor plywood which has a resined coating on one or both sides for a perfectly smooth surface, normally used for plywood signs.

Sammamish, WA