Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Neander Life...

The Neander Life...

I hand planed a ew of the last projects and did a fair amount of other sawing...rasping etc.
    My back has been very tight in the upper area.....
    I had a massage at my home today for the fourth time in 2 months...it helps ..
    I am aware of my posture and try to stay balanced.....but it seems to knot up and it doesn't work itself out...so what to do.....
    I also pulled a ligament in my knee and I get acupuncture every 3 or 4 days....tomorrow is my forth visit....
    well I still really love the work and I am not about to quit.....so I will have to see how it goes for a while
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Sorry to hear you're, umm...in need of the massuse...

Seriously, many of the things we do in the shop tend to distract us from considering posture, balance and position. Turners who take classes from folks like David Ellsworth spend considerable time on just that. You can't do your best work when your body is strained from no being situated in the optimal postion for the task at hand. We should also think about this more, IMHO. (It's even one of the reasons I put the Adjust-A-Bench in my shop...worksurface height is one of the critical elements to comfortable body position when doing woodworking tasks)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I pulled a muscle in my arm a while back trying to plane with a dull blade in my (beware: drive by gloat) 20 dollar 5 1/4 at an akward angle but in the end it worked out for the best because now I can/know how to plane right or left handed

-Ryan C.
    -Ryan C.

I strained my eyes looking at your posts Does that count for anything
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    I strained my eyes looking at your posts Does that count for anything
    Sorry I will post bigger pictures

Hi Mark, you could try myotheropy or deep massage theropy.

What I would like to suggest is something a little different but the guy who does it is in Oz. Based on deep masage theropy and accupressure. But the basis is that muscles throughout your body are not in balance so they adjust to take up pressures from other muscles that aren't working as best as they could...eventually you do something which sets it all off and then pain comes. So basically you need to get you muscles balanced by realeasing the problem tight muscles. Usually the painful area is not the problem. But somewhere else. Often in the spinae erector muscles down either side of the spine. leg and knee pain can come from problems in these muscles as well.

Get (try) a deep muscles massage (at least an hour long session) to release the muscles throughout the body. two or three session and it should be improving, if not try something else.

If the accuppuncture works, great, but it is probably adressing the symptoms and not the cause.

My 2 yen worth. A little less than two cents.

Robert

Mark---Here is a little stretching exercise I have found to be very helpful for shoulder and upper back discomfort. First, find an unobstructed corner of a room. Stand facing said corner, with legs just slightly spread about 18" apart, and so that your chest is about 18" away from where the walls meet. Raise your arms so that your forearms are paralell to the walls (pointing up), and your upper arms are parallel to the floor, pointing straight out to the side, forming a straight line through the shoulders, with right angles at the elbows, hands clenched into fists. Got it?

Now, gently lean into the corner until your forearms make contact with the walls on either side. Keep your legs, back neck and head straight in line, and let gravity pull you into the corner a little, with your forearms in contact with the walls. The walls will begin to pull your arms and shoulders and back into a compound stretch. Be gentle and don't force it, let gravity pull you, and let comfort be your guide. When you feel a good stretch, but not to level of pain, rest in position for 30 seconds or so, breathing slowly and evenly. Then as you brethe out, release tension and relax into the stretch a little more, again gravity is pulling you into the corner, the walls are holding you out of it. Hold this new position for another 30 seconds, then see if you can go deeper still into the corner without pain. All the while, keep your legs, back, neck and head in line, and your upper arms straight out. When you have had enough, gently push out of the corner with your forearms, and let your arms down along your side. Feel the results of your actions.

This is great for relieving the stress of hunching over and tightening up the muscles of the the shoulders and upper back, just the sort of thing resulting from planing, sawing, or using chisels. Remember thateven if you are just spending a lot of time looking down, your neck and shoulders are supporting the full weight of your head, which is in the neighborhood of 10 to 12 pounds. I learned this stretch from my chiropractor, and it has served me well. Listen to your body, and don't try to force the stretch, or bounce into it. You need to feel some tension, but not pain.

Try it, you'll like it! You can do it as often if you like, before and after work sessions is good, also any time you are feeling tight.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

And I've been telling myself it's because I'm outashapengettinolder. I didn't even think of those excuses.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Sorry I will post bigger pictures
    No No, I just meant I spend so much time looking and clicking and wishing and wanting. The list goes on and on.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    No No, I just meant I spend so much time looking and clicking and wishing and wanting. The list goes on and on.
    Jim,
    Your making my back feel better already Thanks!

Robert,
    That is what I am getting....11/2 hours at a time!

Dan,
    Iwill try that it sounds very good and thanks for taking the time to explain it! I never had any of this a few years ago...

For me, back ache went when I raised all my bench heights. Made hand planing harder, but I got used to it....but we're all different I suppose.

Mark, here's my back-stretching routine:

1. Lay down on a firm surface with enough room to stretch (low-pile carpet is best)
    2. Stretch arms over head, with knuckles about an inch off the floor. Hold stretch for 30 sec-1 minute.
    3. While exhaling, bring hands to chest, rolling the upper spine so that lower spine lays flat. Should take about 5-10 seconds for this.
    4. Pull ears to shoulder each way (my neck usually pops doing this) with head still on floor.
    5. Sit up to cross-legged (Indian) position.
    6. Put left hand on floor outside of right knee and right hand on floor behind right buttocks and twist with back relaxed, using left hand to push against the knee. Reverse and twist the other way.

If it's real bad, ibuprofen will help any swelling, allowing for more movement and stretching. Rarely does it take me more than 2-3 days to work out even the worst "kinks".
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Or like my daddy used to tell me when I complained of aches and pains from manual labor, "Just suck it up and get back to work."

The LOML shows me no mercy when I come in with aches and pains after playing in the shop for a few hours. I just don't understand it.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    Rarely does it take me more than 2-3 days to work out even the worst "kinks".
    Jason,
    All I can say is...just wait. When I was your age I could also blow something out and be back in a day or two. Nowadays I start out every day with something blown out...and it goes down hill from there.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan