Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Neander Life...

Mark...
    I sure do understand what you are saying. Last weekend I had DrLOML trying her best to massage out a sore shoulder/back pull. Warming up before I start anything has to be part of the equation for me from now on. Sadly recovery time is getting longer and longer.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Glenn...yeah, I know those days may be coming. About a year ago, I tweaked my back real bad. I worked through it for two days (I was fine when I kept moving), but that Saturday, I took it easy. Every time I tried to get up from a chair, I would have a spasm after about two steps and nearly fall to the ground. I normally don't use ice, but that time I did and it helped. It was a total of about a week before I was back to normal. Considering all the physically stressful work I do, I'd say my back is overall in good shape. Carrying long ladders and setting them up can be hard on the back. I've also heard that 10 lbs extra in front is 70 lbs of pressure on the lower back, so I'm trying to keep ahead in that department, despite my affinity for dark beer.

I've also noticed that as I get a little older, there is a little less of a cavalier attitude towards doing "stupid" stuff--tasks that may cause me to tweak something.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Mark, do yourself a really big favor and go see a good physio-therapist. They will be able to put develop a program just for you and what your body needs.
    The great part is 10 to 20 mins a day makes a HUGE HUGE diference.

I just had another accpuncyure from Dr. Li ....I will let you know in a day or 2
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

A disc slipped about a year ago after moving some heavy construction items, could hardly walk. What cured me were the MacKenzie first aid and exercises, all your spine doctors will know about his method. To this day I do at least one session, usually in the morning before getting up (I like hard mattresses, so it's a flat surface), to keep the back strong.

However, in reflection, I realized that I had been asking for back trouble all fall, took a 3-4 week road trip without usual exercise, hadn't been walking my usual 1.5-3 miles a day, and had stopped taking a medication that incidentally made my back stronger.

Also, I recommend video taping yourself while working and reviewing the tapes. It should be fairly easy to spot body movements you could do differently.

Pam

When I'm going to do a whole bunch of hard, hand work I do a warm up! and a few stretches (already mentioned)
    But seriously, just like the rugby teams do. You need to warm the body up from the inside (sitting on the radiator doesn't count) and when i'm done I stretch to cool down. All the physio's will give you a routine to follow before and after your work(out).

Steve

I'm in the gym almost everyday, just turned 60, but still get some pains from woodworking. Up and down ladders finishing up a trim job still has me tied in a few knots.
    I was just about to purchase a series of deep massages from a local, but opted to buy an LN 5-1/2 instead. As I've said in other posts, I was just driving by on the way to see the massage therapist and took a wrong turn into the LN showroom parking lot.
    DICK
    We can only be, what we give ourselves the power to be~ Cherokee Feast of Days

I have a 4" hard rubber caster on the wall in my shop about 52" above the floor that I use to work out the really bad knots when I am working. It (next to plywood leaning up over door) is great because you simply adjust your distance from it depending on how hard you want to massage your back.

To use it you just lean back on it and bend your knees to move your torso up and down working the wheel over the knots and behind shoulder blades etc. Great when you realize that you are sore and the massage therapist is no where in sight.

See it?

DSCN0086.JPG

Get one.

Ben
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Mark, no one has told you about the most important fitness equipment in a shop, a recliner with a foot rest. Take a break every 30 minutes or so and you should be all right
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

And of course since it's a woodworking forum, that would be a Morris chair correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, I forgot the foot rest!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Best approach

First, most of the well intended responses have dealt with relief of discomfort.
    The best way to address this problem was stated:

"Mark, do yourself a really big favor and go see a good physio-therapist. They will be able to put develop a program just for you and what your body needs.
    The great part is 10 to 20 mins a day makes a HUGE HUGE diference."

Pam basically suggested the same thing.

The region you are having problems with is very complex with regards to motion and strength balance. Even pectoral contraction from poor posture can contribute but the smaller muscles that hold the shoulder blade pinched in together are often weak.

See a Physical therapist then consider using jointers/planers and tablesaws for the big stuff and hand tools for the fine work. If you have a cough, weight loss, numbness,fever or if the pain persists for a long period of time (greater than 6 weeks)then see a doctor first.
    Dean

Sorry to hear of your pain,

A few years ago there was a great article in FWW on the ergonomics of power and the human body. The article spoke about body position, the power zone, control zone and how to position your self and work to optimize control and energy. Worth a look, I can not remeber the issue, but I used it to scale my workbench height etc.
    Take care,
    Jim

Mark. I do a repetative job in an auto parts factory that makes me lift 30lbs about 750 times a day in which I kinda do a shoulder shrug like saying "I Dunno?". I get quite tight in my lower back and shoulders. I stretch ALOT during the course of my shift just to keep going. Sometimes the wife and I go and get a deep tissue massage. I'm also thinking about getting a procedure done that is called ROLFING. It's a type of deep fascia stretching that apparently loosens and aligns all the major muscle groups so that you can move effeciently and with ease. I understand it usually takes about ten sessions to do the whole body which is done weekly. you might want to look into that if symptoms continue..
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges